Weight Saving Tips

Art Vandeley

Anyone have any easy weight saving tricks/tips?

I have always carried a roll of electric tape for attaching tags to antlers. I recently decided to carry two zip ties instead of the tape roll. I know it's not much, but it all adds up.

It is pretty easy to put a couple wraps of tape on a water bottle/trekking pole/etc. and re-use.

This year I repackaged MTN house into quart Ziploc bags and used a insulated pouch for the first time. Saved some weight, a lot of space (was in a bear container area) and i could use the pouch as a padded carrier for my inreach/headlamp/range. Kind of have to be careful though.

I know this isn’t a specific item to ditch or lighten, but IMO the best thing you can do is just weigh every single thing you’d consider taking on a backpack trip to the ounce. Just look at the spreadsheet and the pieces will fall into place for the most part.

Learn what you can live without. That comes from experience backpacking in all different seasons. Eventually you become comfortable enough with discomfort to start paring down a lot of those extra items.

I often use a fairly light sleeping bag and bolster its rating by wearing my insulating layers to sleep.

"2 for 1" items are another good one. Using a shelter that utilizes the trekking poles you may already be packing is a good example.

Different layering systems, I find myself taking a rain coat and puffy instead of adding a soft shell proper mid layers. I still take too many clothes but, it's better to be safe then sorry.

If your interested switch sleeping bag to quilt. Sometimes can knock off a couple lbs.

Seriously count your food or cals. I keep my daily rations in between 1.3 lbs.to 1.5 with a mtn house. Besides the house a full day of snacks can fit in a quart ziploc.

Some go stoveless, that's not for me.

I see you ditched the tape, I find it on my trekking poles is nice to have and tape is a very handy tool. Never know when you'll need it.

Different shelter? Frameless or floor less.

Its just all dependent on what, when, and where.

At the end of the day you can only do so much. Sure it adds up but unless your an extreme minimalist, your gonna be taking a lot of shit.

I went to a floorless tipee and quilt this past year and knocked 2 pounds off the total. I always over pack food. Especially the GORP style stuff. I always leave it behind for some lucky sum bitch squirrel or bear to lap up. I would ask you to rethink your tape decision though. Back in 2015 I cut my hand pretty good 7.5 miles away from the truck while boning out my bull. Base of the thumb right on the pad. Down to bone. I stuffed it with Tipee and wrapped in electrical tape. Not like I was gonna bleed out, but it was running enough my partner asked me " are you on blood thinners?"... LOL.

I went to a floorless tipee and quilt this past year and knocked 2 pounds off the total. I always over pack food. Especially the GORP style stuff. I always leave it behind for some lucky sum bitch squirrel or bear to lap up. I would ask you to rethink your tape decision though. Back in 2015 I cut my hand pretty good 7.5 miles away from the truck while boning out my bull. Base of the thumb right on the pad. Down to bone. I stuffed it with Tipee and wrapped in electrical tape. Not like I was gonna bleed out, but it was running enough my partner asked me " are you on blood thinners?"... LOL.

I had not thought of using the electrical tape in survival situations. I could see where it would come in very handy though. I will likely go back to carrying it.

I wrote an article on backpack hunting weight that would be worth a read.

Look at weight from several perspectives.
  • % Weight - It's easier to cut weight from a 6 lb sleeping bag than on something that weighs 3 oz.
  • Time Weight - it's more important to cut weight from gear that is worn all the time than stuff that is left in camp. Multiply lbs saved X time worn.
  • Cost to cut - $10 per oz saved on lightweight gear seems to be an industry balance point.
Beyond the big things, keep a list of what you use and what you don't on your trips. Gear that doesn't get used needs a solid justification to keep riding in the pack.

Don't pack your fears! Be realistic about how much food and water you'll need. That stuff adds up quickly. I think this season I may stop carrying a water filter and just go with tablets. Filters are a pain in the ass anyway. Don't bring extra clothes. If Im going 5 or fewer days I don't take extra underwear or socks and I wear the same thing everyday. You could also look into get a lighter weapon. I shaved close to 3 pounds on my rifle setup last year, which I definitely noticed.

There is also a durability consideration in hunting that ultralight backpackers do not have to worry about.
If you have to haul your animal back in your pack, you might not want an ultralight backpack.

For example,

A strong pack that will last a lifetime and not eventually tear apart miles into the wilderness is worth a few extra pounds.

If you hunt with other guys figure out what equipment is redundant between you, like a water filter or stove. I also ditched a heavy/bulky soft-shell jacket and got better at layering.

Find things that are multi use, if one item will do the job of three you can ditch two items.

A strong pack that will last a lifetime and not eventually tear apart miles into the wilderness is worth a few extra pounds.

Durability for backpack hunting is a definite need.

However

Heavy ≠ Durable, and
Light ≠ Fragile

A 4 lb pack can be every bit as durable as a 7 lb pack, or more durable in some cases. It's about design and build quality.

Durability for backpack hunting is a definite need.

However

Heavy ≠ Durable, and
Light ≠ Fragile

A 4 lb pack can be every bit as durable as a 7 lb pack, or more durable in some cases. It's about design and build quality.

Really? That would be wonderful!
Can you suggest a 4lb pack for a 10-day sheep hunt in Alaska?
The best sheep hunters I know are still using 7 lb packs....
https://www.provingtrailadventures.com/images/downloads/Backpack_Sheep_Hunting-Gear_List.pdf

Or a 4lb pack for hauling out moose quarters?

Also the pack should last many decades of heavy hauling long distances.
Thanks!

This outta be interesting! Rock knows his stuff and works for a great company that produces some amazing gear.

Last edited:
Really? That would be wonderful!
Can you suggest a 4lb pack for a 10-day sheep hunt in Alaska?
The best sheep hunters I know are still using 7 lb packs....
https://www.provingtrailadventures.com/images/downloads/Backpack_Sheep_Hunting-Gear_List.pdf

Or a 4lb pack for hauling out moose quarters?

Also the pack should last many decades of heavy hauling long distances.
Thanks!

I work for Seek Outside, and was part of the original pack design team when we launched our packs in 2012. I've been in this space a long time now.

All of our packs are sub 5 lbs and several sub 4 lbs. We have a big presence on Kodiak as well as packs across Alaska tagging along on sheep, goat, and moose hunts.

I don't bicker or argue much, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Nathan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back