Weekend smoking

EastTNHunter

No, not that kinda smoking…

Trimmed the fat cap and other excess fat, rubbed it down last night in a homemade rub to “dry brine”, re-rubbed it this evening, and put it on the pellet smoker using hickory pellets at 225. I’ll take it off sometime tomorrow late morning or early afternoon when it gets around 205 and “jiggles.” I’ll then wrap it and let it rest in a cooler for at least 4hr.

I jokingly tell my wife that this is a clod of meat that could teach the world to love 🤣. She at least partially agrees
6FC6ACD3-C11A-4DCB-B39C-CA701DEAF5E0.jpeg

Just came off 21hr later. I forgot to take a pic before I wrapped it. It’s going to have to rest for 4 hours

"trimmed the fat cap and other excess fat"

must be speaking some sort of foreign language there... i don't understand that sentence.

"trimmed the fat cap and other excess fat"

must be speaking some sort of foreign language there... i don't understand that sentence.
I was at Costco last week and looked at briskets. All of them were 40-50 fat. That kinda money and they are sending that much fat. Not worth it and kept on shopping. A good brisket with a smaller fat cap is a good find.

I was at Costco last week and looked at briskets. All of them were 40-50 fat. That kinda money and they are sending that much fat. Not worth it and kept on shopping. A good brisket with a smaller fat cap is a good find.

well, that's a different situation.

pork shoulders and brisket, we want them juicy, yet people cut fat off them, blows my mind 🤷‍♂️

but i'm also the type of guy that's down to eat a ribeye that's like 40% fat

i do happen to have a small pork shoulder on the roughly 6 hour mark as i type. taking over to the neighbors this evening.

IMG-9709.jpg

well, that's a different situation.

pork shoulders and brisket, we want them juicy, yet people cut fat off them, blows my mind 🤷‍♂️

but i'm also the type of guy that's down to eat a ribeye that's like 40% fat
I think a lot depends on your cooking device. A green egg needs a fattier one, a pellet grill needs a leaner one. Both come out just as juicy. I trim most all of the cap off and basically follow the OP method and it’s always juicy and half of the fat I left is still there. For me there isn’t any sense in a thick cap if I’m just going to pitch most it at the end. I would rather cut it off and freeze it for grind fat when we do burger.

If you don’t trim the fat cap off then it lets the bark slide off. I used to leave more on, but I really like the bark. There’s enough fat in them that you don’t need the fat on the outside to keep them juicy

That looks great! We did this one last week. Enormous brisket flat, but it was what they had, and turned out fine. Nothing like a nice brisket. Threw a pork butt on at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG_3758.jpg
    IMG_3758.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3757.jpg
    IMG_3757.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch