Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Weatherby and Hammers

So what is the Hammer Custom bullet? Just a renamed hammer hunter?

Just stumbled on this the other day on Weatherby's site.
I'd think about giving them a try but the LRX's shoot great in my 6.5-300.

@RockyMtnMT, any plans to produce hammer ammunition for 270 or 340 Weatherby? I was bummed to see neither of those calibers on the list of options.
He makes the bullet...Weatherby loads the ammo.

I'd start loading your own with those. At $4-7/shot I'd definitely be doing my own thing

He makes the bullet...Weatherby loads the ammo.

I'd start loading your own with those. At $4-7/shot I'd definitely be doing my own thing
I am considering starting to hand load once I get out of the military. Haven’t had a chance while moving every few years. Also want to consider the time investment if a factory load already has what I want to shoot. Might be worth the money, might not though. I currently shoot Barnes and have been interested in trying the Hammers.

I am considering starting to hand load once I get out of the military. Haven’t had a chance while moving every few years. Also want to consider the time investment if a factory load already has what I want to shoot. Might be worth the money, might not though. I currently shoot Barnes and have been interested in trying the Hammers.
Hendershot will custom make Hammer Ammo in 340 Weatherby. Custom Cartridge Co will load you hammer bullet ammo in both.

@RockyMtnMT - That's cool Steve. I'm glad you have made this deal. It will put Hammers in front of a lot more users who may not handload. Buy more lathes and keep them turning!

I see that as a different market than us in the Hammer bullet "cult". I'm solidly in the "roll your own" camp. I rarely buy factory ammo. I have a 6.5 RPM coming this year. It will never see factory ammo other than whatever they put through in it Sheridan. I can get 100 123 AH or 124 HH for essentially the price of one box of the factory stuff.

I won't know until I actually start loading, but their published velocity for their 6.5 RPM ammo seems less than what we can do with it. YMMV.

I look at the price of new unprimed 6.5 RPM brass and wonder if this rifle was just a vanity purchase. :rolleyes: @BackofBeyond reminded me that if you want a Weatherby, you can't complain about the cost to feed it.

I use the 121 HH in my 1-9" 264WM and 131HH in my 7mmRM.

I still have three lifetimes of lead core ammo I've made in the safe, I'm almost at the point of pulling it down to feed my growing Hammer habit.

Our first run with the 6.5 RPM we couldn't get the velocity that we thought we should. That brass was made by Hornady, I believe. Peterson is now making Wby brass. We got some but haven't had a chance to work with it yet. We felt like the first go the brass was the weak link. My last load was with the 110 Hammer Hunter at 3500 fps. Not bad but thought we could get more. Now that the frozen tundra of MT is starting to clear we should be getting out for more shooting.

Our first run with the 6.5 RPM we couldn't get the velocity that we thought we should. That brass was made by Hornady, I believe. Peterson is now making Wby brass. We got some but haven't had a chance to work with it yet. We felt like the first go the brass was the weak link. My last load was with the 110 Hammer Hunter at 3500 fps. Not bad but thought we could get more. Now that the frozen tundra of MT is starting to clear we should be getting out for more shooting.
I’m very excited to try the 124s in my RPM. At some point when I have more spare time I plan on getting into reloading for it but in the meantime I’m excited to shoot Hammer’s this season. Have heard excellent things.

I’m very excited to try the 124s in my RPM. At some point when I have more spare time I plan on getting into reloading for it but in the meantime I’m excited to shoot Hammer’s this season. Have heard excellent things.
The guys at Wby are pretty exited about that RPM load.

Are you duplicating any factory crimp that might be put on by whomever manufactures Weatherby ammo?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back