Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ways to Judge a Bear.....

Moosie

Grand poopa
We always talk about it.... Here is a good link :

http://www.customosteo.com/huntingadventures/news/bear_weight.php3

Also, in IDAHO, here is some info :

Here's some more bear weight info from John Beecham, the black bear biologist friend of mine I've been referring to:

" Bear weight estimates of more than 400 pounds are common. Even bear researchers have a tough time judging the size of a bear.

How Big Is A Bear?

Newborns
Eight ounces (0.22 kg)

One-year-old females
30-50 pounds (13.5-22.5 kg)

One-year-old males
50-70 pounds (22.5-31.5 kg)

Mature females
120-140 pounds (54-63 kg)
51-54 inches (127.5-135 cm)

Mature males
240-280 pounds (108-126 kg)
56-61 inches (140-152.5 cm) "

Here's a good book by John about Idaho black bears. It's full of good information that would be usefull to any Western bear hunter:

A Shadow in the Forest: Idaho’s Black Bear
John J. Beecham & Jeff Rohlman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know Jeff and Have talked to him on the Whitetail initiative management plan too. Maybe I can Have him Register at the site and Enlighten us better ways ?

I prefer to tree them first then with my tape measure climb the tree and get there measurements. Then use the chart suggested from your link and calculate the #s and decide if its a shooter or not. :D

My preference

Is to Tree first , like Gato , then climb up and shakem by the nads just to make for positive .
I dont know who came up with the phrase "got the cat by the tail" I am sure some houndsman .
But I invented the phrase "Got the bear by the balls" .

You have up top Moosie mature males. 56"-61". 61" is 1" over 5'. My biggest bear was aged at 8 yrs old and was 74" nose to tail on the body. Not skinned. His skull was 18 1/8". So I believe that mature bear age thing is a little off. As for your chart on the other link the girth on my bear was 44"-45". At 74". I figured his weight was around 280.
So what did it mean by mature? What would the age be on a Mature bear?
Jerry

1st I am NOT an expert, but.....

Here's what the guides and F&G officials have intsructed me to look for.

1) If he's BIG, you'll know it.

2) Look at the ears. If they look tinnie against the size of the head, good bear.

3) Eyes too, should look small in proportion the the head.

4) Walking, does he kinda just lumber along, or is their a smooth easy stride

5) If your watching a bear and his attention is distracted to/at something else specific (not you) , guess what.

6) Finally, big is always in relation to the area you're hunting.

My $0.02

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back