Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Waterproofing

Elkmtb

Well it's time to start getting the gear togehter and the tent waterproofed.
For you guys with experience, What is the best way to waterproof an old military canvass tent?

should I go with a store bought fabric waterproofer or go the linseed method? If store bought, which brands have you used. Thanks!

Hunterman and I use Camp Dry for all of our hunting gear. We buy like a million cans but they keep us dry. I think we even put it on our smae two man tent, not sure if it'll work for your's but you could try it.
You might want to pick up a can and try it on a small spot to see what it does to the fabric.
Quick Draw

My dad used the Sno Seal on his boots once it worked pretty good. I personally wear rubber souled boots with fabric up on the top part.
Quick Draw

Kraven, what canvass sealer do you use. I've heard Canvak is good.

Thanks for the tips on boots/clothing too.

For those that need it. Canvak is sold online at Cabelas for $7-15 cheaper per gallon than a regular retail store. So you can buy it online and ship it cheaper than buying from an outdoor or canvass shop. I'll let you know how it works-maybe not until oct 25.
biggrin.gif

Another product I found was Astrops canvass waterproofer and it was $78 per gallon-
eek.gif
vs $17 for Canvak.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-01-2003 08:01: Message edited by: Elkmtb ]</font>

Yeah Elk I use that Canvak stuff for the Wall tents,works great.The local sporting goods store just started carrying a new brand not sure what it is called,thinking it was around $15.00/gal.

Back