Waterfowl, let’s see them!

After the extreme cold and wind let up a bit, new birds definitely moved in with another push. Had a lot of fun shooting a three man of mallards with a bonus pintail and some geese on Saturday and then a three man limit of geese Sunday morning. I had not yet seen a single Quill Lake goose this season and saw three on Sunday. Two in the flock in the photo of geese on the meadow and another that came by when we were picking up decoys after shooting a limit 75 miles away earlier that morning.
We landed a pile of birds this weekend looking for bands or quills, Sunday we called it a season and finished off the last 2 birds out of a flock of 4. No more than 10 mins later , truck and trailer in the field, 4 people picking up decoys, 15-20 birds set up and made two passes and flew over at 30 yards before going elsewhere, sweet quill right in the middle. lol.

Last day of the freezer temps. Expected a lot of bird movement but there was 0 wind for the first couple hours so the first few birds didn't like the still lifeless flock.
Once wind picked up the few birds that came in did not make it out except one teal.
Luckily brought two guns, first started to misfire.
image000000.jpeg

Teal are awesome and hard to screw up, unless you overcook them. I usually split them in half and grill them, watching for flare-ups. Here's a video with same Prep but pan frying them.

I was going to cook four teal for dinner but was persuaded by my son to cook all eight. Plucked, cleaned cooked and ate. Very good. We’re having a family debate if the teal was as good as the mallard we had on the weekend. It’s definitely in our top tear group.

Duck chili and duck fried rice are on the menu later this week.

I was going to cook four teal for dinner but was persuaded by my son to cook all eight. Plucked, cleaned cooked and ate. Very good. We’re having a family debate if the teal was as good as the mallard we had on the weekend. It’s definitely in our top tear group.

Duck chili and duck fried rice are on the menu later this week.
Duck fried rice is a family favorite!

Quack quack quack.

Almost two limits of mallards. A gadwall was added to the mix.

One bonus bird. Conversation as it flew towards us.

Me: Seagull. Clay: Seagull
Me: Seagull. Clay: Seagull
Pause as we look closer.
Me and Clay: SNOW GOOSE!

Attachments

• IMG_7820.jpeg
    IMG_7820.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1042.jpeg
    IMG_1042.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    878.7 KB · Views: 23
20240127_102930.jpgfinal 2 birds of the season. Caught the hen playing sentinel for the other birds on the water. It was late in the hunt so I didn't hesitate. Paddling back I took my time to soak it in. Drifting through the main creek just keeping the kayak pointed straight when he swam out of the edge into open water with no idea I was there.

15 mile paddle on the beautiful Shenandoah. Got 8 geese amongst us. They are just starting to pair off, so still mainly flocks of a dozen or so. My buddy’s 1 yr old lab got his first live retrieves and did awesome. My chessie sometimes struggles with big mean crippled honkers, but this time she chased one full speed across a field, tackled it, and showed all out aggression vs snapping and barking at it for the first few minutes. Great day!
ED421ED9-20BA-4C73-BABB-799A6849B51E.png
E393919B-7F60-416A-A6A7-BE7633C3980A.png

Friend and I had finally had a decent morning.
Birds were not call shy, but would circle several times before thinking about committing.
Cloud cover made it hard to hide and they'd pick us apart most of the time, but we still had enough come close to have a good time.
2 bonus coots as well20240128_080811.jpg20240128_101812.jpg20240128_132856.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back