Waterfowl, let’s see them!

Took my nephew to the "pintail spot" and we got a real mixed bag, but also both got our pintails. Unlike previous trips we had several decoy very well, could have shot several more if limit had allowed. Missed several mallards so we were short a couple of ducks, but got a nice surprise with the bonus canvasback, first one I've shot in probably 10 years or so. After missing several mallards my nephew got a triple on the widgeons.

View attachment 310670
View attachment 310671
Very nice can! I don't see many of them.

Lack of weather was becoming a problem were I'm at, but all changing now snow and below freezing on tap for Thursday. The Waterfowling should be epic this weekend!
Already notice many more birds on the move. Decent shooting the last two days, the birds sure can predict the weather better than man.View attachment 309518View attachment 309519
The cold front got here. these pics at 12 degrees. Not what some are seeing out there right now but at 90% humidity friggin cold. Lots of big Gadwalls. Good hunting!

Zenkner Valley II  1.13.24.jpegZenkner Valley VI  1.13.24.jpegZenkner Valley  VII 1.13.24.jpegZenkner Valley  X  1.13.24.jpeg

Is this what your gun is supposed to look like? I took a brief dip on the last day of the season here in NW CO while chasing a decoy that was being washed downriver by ice. And then a second tumble in the snow while walking back up river. Needless to say my day was done. Luckily I got the shells out immediately so they didn’t freeze in the gun. And as I was trudging out in over the knee high snow with a frozen gun, birds seemed to be everywhere. Just my luck. Managed a single goldeneye prior to that to end my season. View attachment 310430
This is why I always have a backup gun in the truck.

Final bird of the 2023-24 season which ended 12-Jan-2024 here in Montana.
View attachment 311180
I shot more geese than ducks and more pheasants than anything.
Pup got to hunt 51 times (retired and living the dream).
Zero lost birds this past season which always my goal.
Very good!!
Jealous about that many hunting days.
Got 13 months to go till retirement, hopefully my days in the field will expand!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back