Waterfowl, let’s see them!

9rMGan1.jpg

About an hour hunting this morning. Nine shots for five honkers. Had to shoot two of them again as they were falling. Wounded geese can disappear fast in standing corn. I was with the dogs in there looking for the last bird and bumped into a big black bear less than twenty yards away. He was a 300 pounder for sure. Ordinarily when in tall corn or adjacent wooded swamp I have a slug in the chamber, mostly to protect the dogs. Both slugs were zipped into my chest pocket today. That bear knows I'm around. I heard it walking through the corn behind me yesterday when I was watching the geese landing where my deeks were set up today. Bears hang out in there and won't leave till the last row is being cut. I have seen as many as three baling out just ahead of the combine on final cut. Damage to the field was very minimal so I think this bear is a new arrival. They are very destructive in corn.
20231016_103451.jpg
Didn't have time to get the decoys staked up. Geese were already trying to land.
20231016_104209.jpg
I have a dozen old G&H Henryetta shells (left) my dad gave me Christmas 1974, and a dozen new model G&H (right) I bought about ten years ago. The old ones are MUCH better.
20231016_103758.jpg
The hunting was shitty ... literally. Dairy farmer spread cow manure soup on the stubble two days ago. Mostly dried today but still smelled awful. The geese like it. I think they pick up a lot of half digested grain and corn. Also, the honey wagon has huge fat tires that smash the corn stubble, providing handy landing strips for the honkers. Puppy loves it too. She had to go swimming in the lake before we went home!
20231016_112935.jpg
All packed up and ready for the 3/4 mile hike back to the Jimmy. I estimate the bag weighs about 70 lbs .

Last edited:
Back