Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Water in high country

Butcher

Last year in September I was around 11k and had serious issues finding water. I did however find a seep in tall grass where everything else had been sipping water. The grass was laid down all around it and lots beds nearby. The water had a sheen on it and I was reluctant to drink it. I’ve tried researching what the oily sheen was and the only thing I can come up with is it’s plant decay. Does that sound right? Have any of you filtered water like this with a sawyer? Also the water wasn’t moving and was only several inches deep, if that matters. Thanks for your time

It could be several things. Decaying matter can produce a sheen. I see it in springs or seeps here and it’s due to an iron-loving bacteria in the water. We’re always trying to figure out if it’s that, or if the Bakken struck again out here. Red slimy stuff coating vegetation or the substrate on the bottom is usually bacterial. Plus there’s the odor differences…oil vs sulfur or iron smells.

If you are miles away from anywhere, I think one of those natural causes is the most likely culprit. Here’s a nice short read about it.

High country without snowmelt is usually close to a desert.
I have filtered water from sources such as you described and replaced it when I got back to good source.

Appreciate it! Have you guys drank from a similar source with any ill affects? I know it couldn’t of been oil or petroleum. I was considering taking a day just to pack water up even if it’s super dry again.

I tell you what ol' Jed Clampit found a sheen on water when he was hunting and it was bubblin crude may not want to advertise that spot.....:giggle:

A filter is your friend.
As HW said it is most likely organic bacterial breaking down. I have seen it before and will again. And not limited to high country.

Been stumbling in the hills since I was a kid. Have not drank unfiltered water outside of a few places in many years. High elevation clear lakes and off the rock springs...or my wells.

Feeling better about drinking it. I know the animals were definitely drinking from it.

Last year in September I was around 11k and had serious issues finding water. I did however find a seep in tall grass where everything else had been sipping water. The grass was laid down all around it and lots beds nearby. The water had a sheen on it and I was reluctant to drink it. I’ve tried researching what the oily sheen was and the only thing I can come up with is it’s plant decay. Does that sound right? Have any of you filtered water like this with a sawyer? Also the water wasn’t moving and was only several inches deep, if that matters. Thanks for your time
I’ve filtered far worse than that with a Sawyer. No issues. Just keep in mind that bacteria (not Protozoa) typically range from ~ 0.2-2 microns in diameter, while Sawyer pores are 0.1 micron. Giardia cysts, on the other hand, are huge in comparison (up to 10 um or so). Had to throw in a small protozoan just for comparison.

Back