Caribou Gear

Watching the Opening Day Parade go by

Mustangs Rule

Usually I don’t hunt deer opening weekend. Tuesday or Wednesday are when I enjoy my first hunt, enjoy being the key.

I sat in a coffee shop as the deployment of hunters drove by. Many I think came in yesterday, yet still this morning there were lots on the road in town.

What struck me first was how special purpose the rigs were and obviously so expensive. Typically there was a large high 4×4 with a quad in the bed pulling a trailer with camping gear and another quad stuffed somewhere. Maybe there was a camper shell on the truck, then the trailer with two quads and some type of pop up pop out tent contraption.

I did the math per total rig,,,$60,000 plus minimum? When I was a kid lots of my friends parents bought GI homes, a basic Cape Cod that went for $5,000.

I longed for the days of a 4X4 Chevy Apache with a canvas tent thrown in the back. In the cab there were two guys wearing flannel shirts and jeans or old surplus wool pants.

In these new rigs each hunter was dressed from head to toe in camo. The total image had a military look to it, except if it were military the men would be in shape.

And where were they gonna go with fire road closures and so much wilderness not allowing OHV’s ?

Thank heavens for that !

"Cowboy State" a hunting mag from Wyoming just had an article about spitting up big game seasons making them shorter of course but with more than one opening day a way of beating the crowds.

Also, I have seen way big crowds at trailheads where hunters were going in horseback hunting. No room to park trucks and trailers,

Usually I don’t hunt deer opening weekend. Tuesday or Wednesday are when I enjoy my first hunt, enjoy being the key.

I sat in a coffee shop as the deployment of hunters drove by. Many I think came in yesterday, yet still this morning there were lots on the road in town.

What struck me first was how special purpose the rigs were and obviously so expensive. Typically there was a large high 4×4 with a quad in the bed pulling a trailer with camping gear and another quad stuffed somewhere. Maybe there was a camper shell on the truck, then the trailer with two quads and some type of pop up pop out tent contraption.

I did the math per total rig,,,$60,000 plus minimum? When I was a kid lots of my friends parents bought GI homes, a basic Cape Cod that went for $5,000.

I longed for the days of a 4X4 Chevy Apache with a canvas tent thrown in the back. In the cab there were two guys wearing flannel shirts and jeans or old surplus wool pants.

In these new rigs each hunter was dressed from head to toe in camo. The total image had a military look to it, except if it were military the men would be in shape.

And where were they gonna go with fire road closures and so much wilderness not allowing OHV’s ?

Thank heavens for that !
Are you upset because there are other hunters that want to hunt opening day or the fact that they drive expensive rigs? I mean, given inflation, what do you want them to drive? one of these...?

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 4.59.39 PM.png

Are you upset because there are other hunters that want to hunt opening day or the fact that they drive expensive rigs? I mean, given inflation, what do you want them to drive? one of these...?

View attachment 242345
Good questions.
In 1971 i bought a 30-06 Safari Grade bolt action Browning rifle. I still have it and hunt with it.

In 1988 I bought a 1984 Toyota Land cruiser, 4 door., I still have it, maintained it meticulously. By todays 4x4 standards it is small. It is so simple. No computers.

Both pair of my traditional snowshoes, leather and ash I have worn out and had re-webbed. I bought one pair in 1972 and the other in 1994.

I have used the same saddle forever..

Old simple things turn me on, especially when connected to the outdoors.

Bringing so many big tech things with me when hunting would make my head feel overloaded.

Hope that helps.

Regarding so many people, so many other hunters, I want as much privacy as possible. Thats why I don't hunt those first few days.

Hope that helps.

Regarding so many people, so many other hunters, I want as much privacy as possible. Thats why I don't hunt those first few days.
I suspect today's hunters buy stuff in the offseason to feel like they are doing something engaging for the upcoming season. Many are unable or unwilling to scout and spend time in the areas they hunt. The vehicle is as much about identity as anything. For some, self-expression comes in the form of the vehicle they drive.

I too want as much privacy as possible. But I also understand that it is a net positive to get as many people as possible engaged in the outdoors. I have to take the good with the bad if I want public land to stay public and hunting opportunities to exist for future generations...even if I don't get why they buy such stuff. ;)

View attachment 242345
Ohh and if I needed a new truck for the outdoors I would just find a late 1980's or early 1990's Toyota 4x4 pickup with the extended cab and a great body, no rust, never been in an accident and I would rebuild it mechanically and have the seats redone. Might cost $10,000 to do all that and I would be happy as a clam.

I suspect today's hunters buy stuff in the offseason to feel like they are doing something engaging for the upcoming season. Many are unable or unwilling to scout and spend time in the areas they hunt. The vehicle is as much about identity as anything. For some, self-expression comes in the form of the vehicle they drive.

I too want as much privacy as possible. But I also understand that it is a net positive to get as many people as possible engaged in the outdoors. I have to take the good with the bad if I want public land to stay public and hunting opportunities to exist for future generations...even if I don't get why they buy such stuff. ;)
You might enjoy looking up the various definitions of Si-wash

and reading about Ed Park. He was a master level Si-wash style hunter and outdoorsman. I got to know him befire he died.

More later, Thank you for your response

As a NR who loves hunting in WY. I always wonder how people can afford all of those new pickups and new ATVs. We make a decent living by most peoples standards, and I still can’t figure out how people afford those vehicles… again this is coming from someone who has rebuilt a couple old JD tractors and run vehicles 10 yrs or older.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back