Washington elk

Matt Roberson

Hello I’m new to hunt talk. I’ve decided to take my son elk hunting this year. My health has gone down hill rapidly and I want to take him before it’s to late. I’m needing suggestions on a good place or unit that we can pack into horseback on the east side of Washington. I’d be willing to trade a elk hunt on private ground for mule deer hunting on

A little back story on me. I’m a disabled vet, former police officer. I’ve hunted deer for years on the family ranch here in eastern Washington. My 10 year old son just passed hunter’s safety and is SUPER excited.

Thanks

Hello I’m new to hunt talk. I’ve decided to take my son elk hunting this year. My health has gone down hill rapidly and I want to take him before it’s to late. I’m needing suggestions on a good place or unit that we can pack into horseback on the east side of Washington. I’d be willing to trade a elk hunt on private ground for mule deer hunting on

A little back story on me. I’m a disabled vet, former police officer. I’ve hunted deer for years on the family ranch here in eastern Washington. My 10 year old son just passed hunter’s safety and is SUPER excited.

Thanks
If you have the capacity, I highly recommend ID. Not only are you more likely to see elk, but I think you'll find less people overall, which always makes for a more enjoyable trip.

If not, the units up out of Yakima, up both the Tieton, Naches, and American rivers, are all beautiful country.

I’m needing suggestions on a good place or unit that we can pack into horseback on the east side of Washington
I would second the Yakima area if you're looking to pack in with horses, assume you're talking rifle? I've only hunted the archery seasons down there.

I lived in Whatcom County for 13 yrs., miss it , loved it. I would contact WDFW and find out which areas in Eastern Wa. has the best populations of ELK. Find a tribe that is close to the area and go make friends.

Yakima is a spike only hunt if thats what you are looking for. The any bull units are pretty hard to find areas to take horses into as there just isnt much wilderness or trails where elk exist

Find a tribe that is close to the area and go make friends.
In WA, the best populations mean spike only. Not sure making friends with the Natives is going to help here, the Yakima and Colville tribes have some of the best elk hunting in the state, but no chance in hell of non-tribal getting in on that.

Thanks

PM (private message) me. I spent years hunting archery Sept. with very good success in an area that has limited access (horseback would be perfect). Sept. Archery would be my choice in your situation as the weather is typically good and it would be one less thing to worry about with a 10yr old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back