Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Washington Bears??

PROTEIN

Hello, folks.

I am going to head for the northern cascades in august to try to track down a black bear. Probably north of Omak, Twisp or Winthrop. At this point my only plan is to glass lots of country with berries and spent the time needed. I never hunted bear and am fairly new to Washington.

Does anyone want to give some free advice to a green-horn? The one given is that I will hunt hard. Any imput or advice about bear hunting in general or about the bears in this area would be appreciated.

Matt

I have found that if you find a hill side full of blue berries find a good hidding spot and wait..I have shot some nice bears this way.. Watch the west, and south facing draws with the berries and good cover, that would allow the bears a cool place to sleep when the day starts getting warm..Over threr in Aug. is going to get hot quick and stay hot till real late in the night.
Good luck.

Hunterman(Tony)

By the way I have hunted that area many times for deer...

Tony have you ever hunted around the black forrest area? we used to hunt there alot ... pretty thick stuff manly we walked up the creeks.. Also hunted alot around eatonville and kapowsin lake on the back side(wheyerhouser property)..

Then a few places along south praire creek when the salmon ran

Delw

PROTEIN
Hey if you are going to hunt around the north cascades you might want to try hunting above Index as it is very rugged and perfect. A lot of high elevation berry patches with little to no pressure. There are a lot of multi colored bear . I took my son out and he shot a beautiful blonde bear up there. Frog or Evergreen mountain is a good place to start but it is a hike. It takes two to three hours up Frog but the bear are BIG. No pressure. Evergreen is only a mile and a half up the ridge and there is a nice trail of switch backs. If you go up there go past the forest service building and the next basin over is where I passed on a Dandie 2 years ago. We already had two and were only there 1-1/2 days. It would have been to much to pack out. If you don't want to work that hard just find a closed road with a gate on it and it will be pretty good if growth is 4 to 8 years old. The Olympic Penninsula is another hot spot for these bruins. The Solduc unit is packed full of em. Lots of places to hunt there. If you are around Washington Pass, up the North Cascades Highway, then checkout Ross Lake. It is Park when you first start out but then turns into forest service land. The Mountain loop hwy on the other side of Granite Falls has a lot of em out toward Verlot. Benson creek is a great place to start. All walk in. Good luck.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-13-2002 15:15: Message edited by: raybow 1 ]</font>

Thanks guys!! I REALLY appreciate the information. I learned over the years that a little good information from an expert is better than weeks of blind scouting. It helps a lot to just get focuse in somewhere.

Any other suggestions - now I'm getting greedy.

Here's another couple questions for anyone who wants to chim in:

Are berries found at all elevations or are they fairly localized?

Am I going to be hard pressed to get a bear out several miles in the august heat before it goes bad?

thanks again guys

Delw,,I have hunted those areas quite a bit.The kapowsin Lake area is now owned by Rainer Timber Co. Thats where Quick Draw shot her first deer.The Eatonville area is the spot that I used to have a deer camp in every year, until they closed it down to camping, because of the trash, and vandalism.
We have shot a butt load of deer and a few bears along the river..

Hunterman(Tony)

My sister and Brother in law hunt alot in champion(something like that) not sure where that is.. is that a new name for something? he said its over by eatonville...
Delw

Champion, is the kapowsin Lake area..It runs from the little town of Buckley, all the way to Mt. Rainer Park..Its all private, and is owned by The Rainer Timber Co. out of Oragon.Kind of spendy to hunt there anymore.

Hunterman(Tony)

Hey Protien Good luck to ya on the Bear huntin.We only got 2 more weeks to go for the opener.Im heading out next weekend to get a better look at a new area I found a couple weeks ago,fishing has to be done this weekend you know plus relatives are in town now.I have only hunted the Twisp area 1 time and that was for Deer but quite a few years back.

kraven
Thank you. I will probably be hunting closer to Stevens Pass. I hope I can find something.

Well then I may see you up in the mountains then.I am heading up in the hills tomorrow possibly for a scouting trip. :D Hey Protien where abouts do you live??

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-20-2002 19:37: Message edited by: Kraven ]</font>

Protein, You're not my Wenache (Used to be Idaho) BUDDY are ya

GOOD luck chasing Yogi !!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back