MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wasatch Elk Hunt

Bowedark

Wasatch

I will be camping off the forest roads in the Wasatch area.

Are there larger pull offs and pull back into areas for small stock trailer/truck/ camper?

Looking for basic info on the area as unfamiliar with the country.

Drinking water? Do public campgrounds have water ? Are there gas & grocery stores? Grazing, certified hay & water in most areas for< riding stock if needed????> & camping very close by?

How tough is it to get around, roads on most ridge & valley? Roads washed out< need 4 wheeler????> or hiking & riding trails only?

The tag gods have been good to me this year. Giving me this multi season tag only after 17 years now! My eyes are not what they once were and bad knees @ 69. This will be solo hunt I plan making the best of it. Wasatch area end of July will be making my home until I find my bull.

Congrats on the tag. I was in that area when my brother had an early rifle tag a few years ago. There were camping spots everywhere, and people in a lot of them. I was really surprised at the number of people. It seemed like most people who had a tag, had a dozen people with them. Also, since it was nice weather, a weekend, and fairly close to SLC, there were people involved in other recreation, too.

Some type of ATV would speed up getting around. My brother arrived several days before season and did his scouting off of a motorcycle. To be honest, I really didn’t get to see too much of the area as I flew in the day before season and we camped right above where my brother had seen a good bull the two prior days. He got it pretty early on the opener so we were back in town by Sunday afternoon. I suspect that the crowds thinned out some then, too.

Despite the number of people we saw, I would be interested in the multi-season tag myself. I have the points, I just don’t have the time — yet. Good luck.

Jump on Utah DWR's website and interactive map. They'll have some info on your elk hunt, they typically list the popular spots and discuss access a bit. Can't help you with the early season, but I had a deer tag in Wasatch in 2018 and spent a some time there. It's got plenty of roads in the unit, but there are some places that you can hike away from them. Some are great, some are rough. It seems to have a good mix of habitats and the elk seem to be doing well. There are some ridge roads up high you might be able to glass from your truck/ATV. Congrats on the draw, sounds like a fun hunt.

Also, I would suggest calling the wildlife bio for the area you plan to hunt. I had a great conversation with the bio there, and he was very helpful. I gave him the parameters of what I wanted out of the hunt and he gave feedback on spots I had picked out e-scouting and suggested others to look at.

I want in. I live nearby. Be glad to help anyway I can.

PM sent.

My best friend drew the tag a few years back and shot a nice 330 bull congrats on the draw. I only have 12 points so i have a few years still let me know if you need a few spots to get started. It depends on what your looking for 300 inch bulls not hard to find 350 inch bulls its going to take some boots on the ground.

My best friend drew the tag a few years back and shot a nice 330 bull congrats on the draw. I only have 12 points so i have a few years still let me know if you need a few spots to get started. It depends on what your looking for 300 inch bulls not hard to find 350 inch bulls its going to take some boots on the ground.
Almost 6 years to make your first post? Dang it, man! Welcome aboard!

Well I'm not a big computer guy and forgot that i was a member to this group. I was watching Randy's show and he was talked about it so here i am.

Jump on Utah DWR's website and interactive map. They'll have some info on your elk hunt, they typically list the popular spots and discuss access a bit. Can't help you with the early season, but I had a deer tag in Wasatch in 2018 and spent a some time there. It's got plenty of roads in the unit, but there are some places that you can hike away from them. Some are great, some are rough. It seems to have a good mix of habitats and the elk seem to be doing well. There are some ridge roads up high you might be able to glass from your truck/ATV. Congrats on the draw, sounds like a fun hunt.
How was your deer tag hunt in 2018? You have east or west?

Wasatch

I will be camping off the forest roads in the Wasatch area.

Are there larger pull offs and pull back into areas for small stock trailer/truck/ camper?

Looking for basic info on the area as unfamiliar with the country.

Drinking water? Do public campgrounds have water ? Are there gas & grocery stores? Grazing, certified hay & water in most areas for< riding stock if needed????> & camping very close by?

How tough is it to get around, roads on most ridge & valley? Roads washed out< need 4 wheeler????> or hiking & riding trails only?

The tag gods have been good to me this year. Giving me this multi season tag only after 17 years now! My eyes are not what they once were and bad knees @ 69. This will be solo hunt I plan making the best of it. Wasatch area end of July will be making my home until I find my bull.
Would love to know how the hunt turned out for you. I drew the archery tag this year. Could use any knowledge you learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back