PEAX Equipment

WARNING: Student Load Forgiveness is Very Unlikely to Pay for Your Next Elk Tag

That and I'd argue the point of liberal arts degrees are to teach you how to adhere to deadlines, be accountable, work well in a group, and communicate effectively. The actual content doesn't matter, it's more did you have a ton of rigorous assignments for years and did you demonstrate via grades that you could produce a good final product. Can you use consultant speak and make a pretty PP, you're hired.
I think you could argue that the point of a BS degree in engineering ticks alot of those boxes as well.

At my work, we have almost entirely given up on trying to attract new engineers out of college. Its just too hard to get them to come here. What we have done is hired people with a degree in Archeology and Business Administration and then they work under me for a couple of years to teach them how to design and build. So far I am very happy with the results.

That and I'd argue the point of liberal arts degrees are to teach you how to adhere to deadlines, be accountable, work well in a group, and communicate effectively. The actual content doesn't matter, it's more did you have a ton of rigorous assignments for years and did you demonstrate via grades that you could produce a good final product. Can you use consultant speak and make a pretty PP, you're hired.
I do agree that for many jobs a college degree is just a certificate that says you are willing and able to follow structured directions (no matter how illogical) for a long period of time to get a small reward -- exactly what employers want to know.

Last edited:
Very true, we just hate the crowding and traffic. Lower wages up here, but also lower cost of living. I do wish I was more career focused in my 20's. Got an AAS going to community college in the evenings after work a few years back. Paid cash, no loans. Added a few tech certifications. Now I have no school debt and a good looking future in IT 👍.
Youse a smart sumbitch. I commend you for figuring it out when it still made a difference.

Monetary value? You know that answer already, because someone other than me is willing to pay for it. Intrinsic/Societal value? Because it elicits emotion and feelings in the person viewing it.

My thoughts but they are not worth much, I am one of those colorless engineers that hasn't been educated enough to appreciate art for its intrinsic value.
You see, even a square can respect art for some reason!

Remind me which 4 yr diploma Michelangelo had, and how much did he take out in student loans to get it?
Actually, he went the indentured servitude route of the trades and skipped academia.

I googled it, 'cuz I'm not an art history major (but I knew one once and he was cool, Dexter).

The US 2022 average for college tuition, fees, books, room, board, etc is reported as aprox $40k. The average completion time 4.5 years. $40Kx4.5=$180k. I apologize for rounding up in a random phone-typed internet post.
I have made this point before on another thread, the openings are there for nurses and "universities" are finding ways to get people degrees. So you have online nursing degrees, some you can get in 18mos. It doesn't include the credits a student has to transfer in, but one can get those at an online community college, or something. The market will find a way. What could go wrong?

Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 11.39.22 AM.png

I have made this point before on another thread, the openings are there for nurses and "universities" are finding ways to get people degrees. So you have online nursing degrees, some you can get in 18mos. It doesn't include the credits a student has to transfer in, but one can get those at an online community college, or something. The market will find a way. What could go wrong?

View attachment 266826
I need naloxone on this feverish newborn, blow by O2! Nurse puts crushed aspirin in IV, attaches 15ml oxygen to IV and rubs noxema on baby’s face.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back