Warm Streams/Cool Fish

rtraverdavis

This past school year was a depressing grind, but it ended last Wednesday. My wife has been well aware how hard it’s been on me, and told me I should go do whatever I wanted for Father’s Day weekend. So a buddy and I decided to get off the beaten path, away from the crowds, and check out some small hill country streams with some unique indigenous fish.

Unlike all the easy-to-access spots near photogenic landmarks, we found the place deserted. Had camp all to ourselves.
BE9BD8AD-8B3C-4A27-AD5B-D84641787533.jpeg

The streams were beautiful, but running low for this time of year. The drought was apparent.
FA9DAE2A-BC3C-4D6D-8C57-DB66D130CDE4.jpeg

F37DCC9E-4489-456D-8D56-B8DACBFAB31D.jpeg

The trout that evolved in these streams have specifically adapted to withstand and thrive in water temperatures that would kill most trout. When I checked the water, my stream thermometer read 70 degrees at 3:00 in the afternoon. Still, the fish were rising and overeager to take a #16 Purple Haze.

I really wanted to get a picture of one of these little trout, but didn’t want to unnecessarily stress one. They’re a listed at-risk species, and fishing is catch and release only. When I tried to get a photo of one I caught, while keeping it in the water it slipped the fly, darted down, and just hung out at my feet. I posted this in the Sunday Pic of the Day thread, but I thought it was cool that it just finned there and let me snap some pictures. As soon as I moved my foot it shot off.
EDE44D46-FC81-42AA-B1E6-1B7E68767B78.jpeg

This was a spot I just picked off the map. There was nothing remarkable nearby, no cool towns or views or waterfalls or InstaGramable anything, just hills and ponderosas—and we were the only ones there. Another friend of mine was fishing a popular, well-known stream at the same time that I was fishing here. When we’d got back home from our separate trips he told me he’d actually left early, that he’d never seen the place so crowded in the 30 years he’d fished there.

There was a long period of time I’d gladly fight the crowds at the chance for a big fish. Now, I’ll take dinky trout, neat country, and solitude over giant hawgs and crowds all day every day.

I think you found a gem. I wouldn't be posting more photos of camp or even talking about it myself. Funny how places like this get ruined almost over night these days. Nothing to see here is my advice to you.

Congratulations on finishing out your year. Glad you were able to find a bit of solitude to recharge and catch a few fish. A well deserved respite.

It would seem the challenge is greater to find some solitude these days. Glad you were able to succeed after the last school year. It takes some doing to decompress.
I appreciate the concerted effort keep the fish in the water and send them on their way. 70 degree water temps is bath water.
Great adventure.

I think you found a gem. I wouldn't be posting more photos of camp or even talking about it myself. Funny how places like this get ruined almost over night these days. Nothing to see here is my advice to you.
It’s in Arkansas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back