Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Want To Trap Some Beavers

Colberjs

I was walking around in the woods behind my house looking for our dog that had disappeared and noticed a lot of beaver sign along the creek that runs through there. It got me thinking about trying to do some trapping and see if I could thin them out. I'm not really trying to make a lot of money at it. Just something to do now that deer season is over and it's close to home.

So, could anybody give me some pointers on where to start? I'm thinking I'll pick up a couple conibears but not real sure what size I need. In a brief search on Amazon I found 110, 220 and 330. I'm assuming 220 or 330 as the 110 looked too small. After I get them what do I need to do. I've heard of boiling them and waxing. Do I need to do that? What about attractants? Or do I just try to place them where the Beavers are already traveling?

Any help would be appreciated. I know there are a couple trappers here, Fin included. If this works out I may try my hand at raccoons, etc. I've always thought it would be fun but I'm not in a position to make a huge financial investment nor a lot of time at the moment.

You need the 330s. Easiest way to trap them is to find their runs or dens. If you can't locate those build some castor mounds(just Google castor mound) and use a castor based lure.

You need the 330s. Easiest way to trap them is to find their runs or dens. If you can't locate those build some castor mounds(just Google castor mound) and use a castor based lure.

Great advice 330s will be your best bet definitely get the setting tongs I also use #5 coil springs in a drowning set on some of my castor mounds.

Where in Oklahoma are you I live in Pushmataha county pm me if you have any questions.

Like all have said...330's for sure. I have caught 7 this year in one spot. Good luck, it sure is a good time. :)

... good point.....make sure you buy the trap setting tongs for sure. ( saves a lot of time and effort)

And never put any fingers where you may lose them! A 330 will get you good if it goes off prematurely!

If I may suggest being very careful setting 330's with your dog running around they are equally effective on dogs!

If I was in an area with people's pets I'd use a longspring foothold in the water on a drowner line and put some division sticks in the beaver slide to discourage the dog from using it.

If I may suggest being very careful setting 330's with your dog running around they are equally effective on dogs!

If I was in an area with people's pets I'd use a longspring foothold in the water on a drowner line and put some division sticks in the beaver slide to discourage the dog from using it.

Agreed...they are deadly. We cannot set ours on land here. I've never had one get me, but I'm guessing it would break bones....

I'm totally unschooled on trapping and small game, how do you skin a muskrat or beaver?

They aren't worth enough for me to skin them! lol. I watched my taxi skin the 68# one I caught this year....he use a needle for airing up basketballs and an air compressor...it separated the skin from the layer of fat and made for easier skinning....still a job for sure!!

I'm by no means an expert, but if they are legal I would consider snares. They are much cheaper and you will have better luck on land with them. If you are planning on trapping the runs or the feed pile around the lodge, than use a 330 Conibear. The beavers will have several trails that they are using to collect wood set a snare on each trail about 1 foot off the ground. Set the snare loop so it is about 10" in diameter. Youtube has a lot of trapping videos on it as well!

Great advice 330s will be your best bet definitely get the setting tongs I also use #5 coil springs in a drowning set on some of my castor mounds.

Where in Oklahoma are you I live in Pushmataha county pm me if you have any questions.

I live in Porum. Southern Muskogee County just east of Eufaula Dam.

Shouldn't be any digs running around there. Mine never turned up and she's been gone 2 weeks now with no sign of her. We're think the guys cooking meth in the trailer north of us shot her. My wife said they were shooting the night she disappeared. I've looked around but couldn't find anything. I'm in city limits so my other dog is kenneled.

I'm by no means an expert, but if they are legal I would consider snares. They are much cheaper and you will have better luck on land with them. If you are planning on trapping the runs or the feed pile around the lodge, than use a 330 Conibear. The beavers will have several trails that they are using to collect wood set a snare on each trail about 1 foot off the ground. Set the snare loop so it is about 10" in diameter. Youtube has a lot of trapping videos on it as well!

Thanks for the tip. I may pick up a couple to go along with my conibear.

Where's the best place to find this stuff? It's too far to drive to a Bass Pro. Maybe Tractor Supply or Orscheln's?

Shouldn't be any digs running around there. Mine never turned up and she's been gone 2 weeks now with no sign of her. We're think the guys cooking meth in the trailer north of us shot her. My wife said they were shooting the night she disappeared. I've looked around but couldn't find anything. I'm in city limits so my other dog is kenneled.

Got to love rural Oklahoma. I miss the good old days when pot farmers were all you ran into they kept to themselves and didn't harm anyone these meth cooks are a different breed.

OK sorry to hear that.
Well then I'll give you a few tips on setting out those 330s.
Since they are known for being jumpy a walkthrough set sounds like the best option. off the top of my head I would find a path they are using and brush in two low spots about 20' apart just brush low enough to make them crawl but not so thick that they cannot see the bait as they come walking up. You will need to place the bottom jaw of the trap about 24" above the ground and put a few small diameter sticks or thick tall grass below the trap to keep them from ducking it. Now in-between the traps set a few boxes of sudamenafin tab's. Make sure they are visible from as far beyond the traps as possible.
The other set would be a standard coni/bucket set where you take a square bucket and alter it to hold the coni. (google image) Take it as close to their den as possible and set it with the tabs in the bottom for bait. The only tricky thing about this set is you will have to chain the coni to a tree or something and dispatch the vermin you catch.

Good luck!

Picked up one 330 and 3 snares at a hardware store today. I'm I them for about $35. I could've gotten 2 330's for that on Amazon but I'd have to wait for them to ship. Plus I'm doing this under the wife's radar (she says I have too many hobbies as it is) so there's that too. LOL.

Now I just got to get them set up. Hopefully I can get them up today.

OK sorry to hear that.
Well then I'll give you a few tips on setting out those 330s.
Since they are known for being jumpy a walkthrough set sounds like the best option. off the top of my head I would find a path they are using and brush in two low spots about 20' apart just brush low enough to make them crawl but not so thick that they cannot see the bait as they come walking up. You will need to place the bottom jaw of the trap about 24" above the ground and put a few small diameter sticks or thick tall grass below the trap to keep them from ducking it. Now in-between the traps set a few boxes of sudamenafin tab's. Make sure they are visible from as far beyond the traps as possible.
The other set would be a standard coni/bucket set where you take a square bucket and alter it to hold the coni. (google image) Take it as close to their den as possible and set it with the tabs in the bottom for bait. The only tricky thing about this set is you will have to chain the coni to a tree or something and dispatch the vermin you catch.

Good luck!

You can also lay some scrap copper in between the traps...that seems to draw them in good in my neck of the woods.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back