Walleye Bite

Nemont

This past week has been unbelievable for the walleye and sauger right below Fort Peck, on the Missouri river. My son, My buddy and myself fished every afternoon Sat,Sun, Mon, Tues and caught limits of eating size walleye and sauger.

I will post pics when I get them developed.

Nemont

EG,
Sauger , a cousin of the Walleye, which is native to the Missouri river. Looks much like a walleye but do not grow as big. :rolleyes:

LBF_Sauger.jpg

Specie Facts

Science Name: Stizostedion canadense
Other Names: Sand pike, river pike, gray pike, gray pickerel, spotfin pike

Nemont

EG,
I hate it when you go off your prozac :D . Maybe Paws can help you with some comprehension skills, oh he banned himself. :cool:

Go read my original post again and then PM me because you are driving me nuts tonight. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nemont

Nemont, the walleye bite has been hot in nodak as well. I picked this guy up throwing crankbaits into shallow water on Devils Lake. We also caught our limits of nice eaters both days last weekend.

smalls

158352984qUtvcU_ph.jpg

I can get the thumbnail to show up, but not the pic. Anyway, it was 28.5" long. I didn't have it weighed. The next day we released a few between 22" and 25". Kept our limit of keepers between 15" and 18". mmm mmm good. The only thing better tasting than walleye is crappie.

smalls

Good looking walleye, smalls, you know you could smile. My dad is from the Devils Lake area and I have been there a couple of times. Course the farm he grew up on is now under about 15 feet of water. Still have a lot of relatives in the Lakota area.

Have always been told if you can't catch walleye there you just can't fish.

Nemont

Here I used photobucket.

smalls_eye_0001.jpg

[ 07-01-2004, 13:11: Message edited by: Nemont ]

Thanks Nemont. I was smiling on the inside! That is my biggest to date. The fish on Devils aren't always "on", I have struggled at times, but that weekend wasn't one of them. Two rods weren't an option for most of the morning as many of the trolling passes we made all three of us in the boat caught 3 and 4 fish!

I would like to get to Ft. Peck this year, but I might wait until ice season.

Is the corps screwing you guys over on water too? It is going out of Sak as fast as it is coming in. Alot of the ramps aren't usable, but the game and fish is doing an examplary job of getting the ones open that they can.

I will try this again, from photobucket. Here is a 21" fish I released. Its ironic you say your old farm is under 15' of water, most of our fish were caught in about 15' on old roadbeds and along tree lines that used to be peoples yards.

21eye.jpg

You guys are making me jealous. I wish I had time to go fishing. I'll have to make time for it pretty soon.

Nemont, do you ever seen a guy named Ron Boggs out there on Fort Peck? I heard that he moved over there a few years back. He's from the Umatilla area of the Columbia River if I remember correctly. I've read his books on fishing the Columbia River. I've been trying to learn Walleye fishing on the Columbia.

Ron Boggs? No doesn't ring a bell but then again I don't know everyone at Fort Peck.

When I lived in Bozeman I thought Fly Fishing was an expensive hobby until I moved to Glasgow and learned what it costs to chase Walleye.

Glasgow is a town where you will see a $40,000 boat hooked to a $45,000 pickup parked in front of a $10,000 house.

Nemont

Your right about that Nemont, $600 for a top of the line Winston or Sage doesn't look so bad when your in the Marine store looking at 2025 Lund Pro-Vs and 21 foot Tracker Tundras.

I believe next spring the Tundra will be adorning my driveway, the anticipation builds!

Back