wall tent care

junior88

just curious, how often do you guys treat your canvas wall tents? ever use canvak? I've had my tent for almost 5 years now and it has been flawless. its been snowed on a couple times but never rained on (one of the benefits of hunting in AZ). any advice is appreciated. thanks

I have had mine for 5 seasons now, this will be my sixth. I have never treated it. I just took it into a canvas shop here and had a few holes/grommets restitched and they said it was in good shape. I just make sure it is always put away dry, and stored in a bag in a dry environment.

I have attempted to use Canvak once. It has some powerful fumes. Be sure the area is very well ventilated (I wouldn't use it indoors at all) and don't get downwind, especially if you're spraying it on.

I don't use anything. If your tent material is kept clean, it is the swelling of the fabric that naturally repels water. Interior frames also allow moisture to wick through. I use a vertice pole at each end and along the sides to avoid a ridge pole. As said, always store it dry, most do. I don't use detergent when cleaning either. If detergent in the washing machine tears down denim I don't want it breaking down my canvas.

I have not done anything to mine and its 10 years old. Keep it dry and clean when it goes into storage and its been fine. My tent manufacturer told me to not put anything on the canvas.

Back