Caribou Gear Tarp

Wall Habitat

smw110136

I have two shoulder mounts I would like to put some wall habitat around. A boar from Arkansas and a Nebraska pronghorn. I have a general idea of what habitat I would like to put around each mount, but I was wondering if anyone (taxidermist or not) could give me some tips on how to build some wall habitat with artifical rock, branches, cactus, etc. I know plenty of taxidermy companies supply these kits ready built, but even if it costs me a little more, I think it would be a fun project to try myself. Anyone care to share where they get some of their supplies for base habitat or wall habitat displays?

Thanks

Attachments

• Antelope.jpg
    Antelope.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 593
  • Boar Left Side.jpg
    Boar Left Side.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 537
That pig needs an apple in his mouth! Great Nebraska goat - it needs a WYO brother. Only insight I have here, except add to it brother. Fish? Waterfowl? Turkey fan / beard? Add to your collection, don't add make-up to your mounts.

I have a wall mount being done now of four geese. Canada, White-front, Snow, and Blue that my dad and I shot this fall/winter in Nebraska. Mounted dead on a barn wood panel. Similar to the photo. Im really excited to see how that one comes out. I saw one at a local outdoors store and knew the moment I saw it I wanted to have one done. Probably do another one with 6-10 ducks next year.

I appreciate the insight, always looking for the next piece to add to the living room! I think they would look a lot better with some habitat instead of just sitting against the white dry-wall alone, thats the only reason I thought up the habitat project.

Attachments

• Snow & Spec.jpg
    Snow & Spec.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2,462
Add some artificial grass or brush near the antelope with a grouse or some quail. My son had his antelope mount done with the rock base and a little grass, I think it adds to the mount. If you live near a Cabela's or Bass Pro go look over their mounts for some more inspiration.

Go on line and get some past copies of Breakthrough or Taxidermy Today. Both great magazines where you can get plenty of Ideas.Also try taxidermy.net If this doesn't pan out shoot me a pm and we will go from there.....:cool:

smw110136,

Here is one that I had done. It was a pretty special day for the dog and I. My dad made the post/habitat. I think it looks better in person.

Attachments

• Man Room.JPG
    Man Room.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 308
  • arron dog1563_1.jpg
    arron dog1563_1.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 313
SWEET mount, great looking pooch(looks a little tired) and awesome hunt. Those are special days indeed.

I never had a pheasant mounted - gorgeous birds, but never considered them trophies. However, I really like how you put these together though. Super sharp!

SWEET mount, great looking pooch(looks a little tired) and awesome hunt. Those are special days indeed.

I never had a pheasant mounted - gorgeous birds, but never considered them trophies. However, I really like how you put these together though. Super sharp!

Thanks. Tired she was! I remember driving home from this trip replaying the day in my head and thinking that I just had to mount a couple of these birds, so I dropped them off at the taxi on the way home. I had winged a rooster and it went down quite a ways away. She went after the bird for probably twenty minutes before she came to a culvert that went under an old railroad. It was probably a 24" culvert. I remember freaking out thinking she was going after a skunk or something, but lo and behold out she came with the rooster! Towards the end of that day I winged (yup poor shooting day) a mallard during some jump shooting and she had to swim a football field and back to get the mallard. When she got back to the shore she dropped the mallard at my feet and laid down, basically telling me "no more". She is now 13 and I'd give anything to have her back in her prime.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MachineSub GN 4576225912G
Back