Walkie Talkies

Flatrock

Anybody use them when hunting with a few other guys? And I don't mean to locate game, make stalks, etc. What I mean is if a couple of you all go your separate ways in the morning and be able to communicate with each other if you need to once in awhile. I'm going to CO soon with my brother in law and thought it might be nice to be able to stay in touch with him throughout the day. Maybe plan on checking in with each other at noon each day or something like that. I'm not sure how far they'll work in the mountains though either. Just curious.

We quit using them years ago in areas with decent cell reception.

Take a "5 mile" radio as the relative standard and you can get 11 miles on I-70 across Kansas and how ever much distance it takes to put a 100 foot hill between you. I've seen them become useless inside half a mile with elevation. Its one of those things where its hard to predict. You could probably talk a few miles across the same drainage with visual or close to visual contact and not 200 yards in the next drainage over.

Yes we always have them. They are great if you wanna change plans and hunt into a different area. My dad does not hunt too far from the truck anymore and they are great if I want to come out at a different location to be picked up. They have saved me a few miles.

Used them before cell service but Texting is so much better. Those things are pretty loud.

No we don't text to talk about game movement or location. My dad doesn't do well dragging deer out and such so it is nice to know when he needs help.

Rhino 530Hcx..... granted a little older but everyone in our hunt group has one. Helps give a peace of mind with some of the older crowd, and also helps if someone gets a animal down to come help. Ive yet to get one down and need the help tho :)

I use them when hunting with someone else. We usually just call in on the hour. Its great for keeping in touch with your buds.

Ok thanks fellas. I'm not sure how well our cell phones will work in the mountains so maybe I'll get a pair and see how they work.

My brother and I use the Garmin Rino's too. He gets a little turned around sometimes and having the ability to see on the map the other guys location just by pushing the call button is priceless! We both have the 530's but have recently upgraded to the 650's that can text.

Don't use them Big game hunting much, but carry them. Can't talk about "Hunting" when your hunting. But after the game is on the ground you can call for help.
Ours hook in to our Electro shooting muffs and have voice activated Mikes. We use them ALOT coyote hunting We will sit up to a 1/4 mile apart looking over different country and a head up can be a game changer...:hump:

Its nice to be in touch but its equally nice not to be ---- you and the mountain and Gods creation.
Anticipation and patience are nice alternatives. in my opinion, but have a great trip regardless!!!!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back