Vortex Viper HS

tzone

How are these compared to others? Interested specifically in the Viper HS 2-10. Does the BDC reticle seem pretty close out to 400 yds?

The viper series is a good scope series. As for the BDC reticle being pretty close to 400, that will vary on cartridge. Its a generic reticle that's not "round specific". You would need to shoot and verify drops.

Get the BDC drops figured out and it'll be a great scope. This is what I have in my scope cap with verified distances. Super easy to use and nothing to remember.

Dead-Hold BDC hashes, Vortex.png

The viper series is a good scope series. As for the BDC reticle being pretty close to 400, that will vary on cartridge. Its a generic reticle that's not "round specific". You would need to shoot and verify drops.

Thank you. I figured I'd have to do that. The downloadable version of the owners manual had a few different drops for cartridge class. But, shooting them was a given. It would probably be a .308 WIN or 7-08 Rem.

Thank you. I figured I'd have to do that. The downloadable version of the owners manual had a few different drops for cartridge class. But, shooting them was a given. It would probably be a .308 WIN or 7-08 Rem.
They should list what MOA the drops are. From there to give you a ball park, look up what ammo you are shooting, take their published data for FPS and BC value, plug that into a ballistic calc (tons free on line), see where your cartridge would fall, you could also play with different zero's IE 100 or 200.

But still shoot to verify drops, those numbers on the ammo box can be off in your rifle.

They should list what MOA the drops are. From there to give you a ball park, look up what ammo you are shooting, take their published data for FPS and BC value, plug that into a ballistic calc (tons free on line), see where your cartridge would fall, you could also play with different zero's IE 100 or 200.

But still shoot to verify drops, those numbers on the ammo box can be off in your rifle.

Good idea. Thank you. The only ammo I've found close to accurate on the box was Federal Premium, 6.5CM 140gr Accubond's. It was right on the dang money out to 300.

300wsm with 165gr Federal Trophy Bonded. Chrono your gun and use an app to get the distances. The Strelok app you can select your actual scope and get exact reticle you have. I chosen for my scope cap to show the hit point on an elk at 500 yards but you can change that to whatever you want.

Make sure to verify the MOA hash mark distances at the range.

I have the 4x16x44 with the BDC. It is on a Savage 110 in 30-06 and I shoot 180gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tips. The farthest I have taken an animal is 390m (antelope doe) and the BDC was right on with that configuration. BTW, I love mine ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back