Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Vortex PST recommendation

montejello

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening,

Looking for some sound opinions/advice on a scope purchase. Right now I am looking at the Vortex Viper PST FFP Mrad scope in either 4x16x50 or 6x24x50. For the time being I will be mounting it on a Savage 11 308, however, have plans of getting a 6.5 creedmoor to toss it on.

Its main application will be for hunting out West. I do not imagine myself taking shots longer than 500m (more realistically 100m-300m) once I have practiced for hunting. I may look at punching paper out to 800m-1000m but isnt really a priority.

Which magnification would you suggest?

Thank you,
Monte

4-16...you may find that 6-24 is too much zoom and you can lose animals quickly in the timber at 6X or higher

You may actually be happier with a 2.5-10 and that would be my choice if I were going with the Viper PST

4-16 is a really nice medium for hunting and long range target shooting. I have the 4-16x44 HST and its nice to have the 16x magnification at the range but you have to be pretty steady to even considering using it. 2.5-10 Is probably a better dedicated hunting scope as mentioned before.

Just ordered a 6-24 by 50 pretty excited to get it but the 8-10 week back order was disappointing

I have a 2.5-10x44 Viper HS and a 4-16x44 Viper HS-LR and if I didn't get the HS-LR for only $450 I would be pretty tempted by a 2.5-10x44 Viper PST instead. I like occasionally having the 16x ability, but for a hunting specific gun 2.5-10x is much more useful. That said, I'm being nitpicky and the Viper HS/HST/HSLR/PST scopes are incredible values and feature packed no matter which magnification range you are getting.

I got the vortex razor HD LH 2-10x40 and I highly recommend it, very clear glass and I like that retical option. they make one that is 3-15x42 That might suit your needs a little better

2 x 12 variable is my preference for hunting. 6x is useless in the timber and anything over 12x starts to pick up heat waves so bad it negates any advantage for hunting situations imo. 12x gives a great site picture for long range but doesnt pick up the waves near as bad.
Im a vortex fan but had eye relief problems when i used a 4x16 PST mounted on a 7mm STW.

I would not buy one. A little research will find that there have been quite a few failures. They have a good warranty, but you may need it. I would buy a Bushnell LRHS, if it was my choice.

I like fixed scopes for the most part (but have both) and 6x is NOT useless in timber any more than any other power. It is whatever floats your boat. I have shot a number of deer in fading light with 6x Super Sniper scopes.

I just got the 6x24x50 ffp in moa dot and mounted it on my 6.5 creedmoor,love it except that it does not come with protective caps for the turrets .I think erss has a 4-16 for sale,price might be right if he still has it.

Dont really know which Leupold products would best fit my wants/needs. Im not opposed to other brands. And I want to thank everyone for their responses!

Montejello

It depends, also, on how much money that you want to spend and if you are a set-and-forget, or a turret spinner.

At the 500 and under range, a 6x will do. If you are set on a variable, then Leupolds have some that are fairly reliable. Nightforce and Bushnell Elites are fantastic and SWFA is also great. If you are turret spinner, then, for the money SWFA is real hard to beat.

If you are touchy about having a light scope, then Nightforce and SWFA are probably not the ones you want. I will take heavy reliability over light failures any day and that is what you get with SWFA and Nightforce.

Lots of choices out there.

I have a 6x24x50 viper pst ffp on my 338 lapua and I really like the scope. I have shot roughly 80 rounds without any problems.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back