Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Vortex opinions

Valley1320

I'm looking at buying myself another set of binos. I have a pair of diamondback 12x50s, and I'm going to get a pair of 10x42. Just wondering if theirs enough difference between the vipers and diamondbacks that its worth getting a pair of vipers, or if I would be better off waiting till I have enough money for a pair of razors or swaros

I’ve upgraded as I could afford it, started with old school Luepolds, went too a little better Nikons, went too bushnells than too Vortex razors than too swaro’s this year. Took 27 years.... buy what you can afford till your able to upgrade!
Matt

If you're not looking to spend an arm and a leg check out the Athlon Argos Line. Decent Bino's with solid features for a good price point.

I'm in the exact same position. Without being to try them in person (outside the store preferably) it's hard to tell what is best. I like my Diamondbacks, and the upgrade is more want than need. My list of possibles are:
Vortex Vipers
Leupold BX-4
Meopta Meopro
Maven C1
Theron Questa

It's a crap shoot until I decide to make a decision.

To answer the OP, I do think there is a big enough difference to jump up to Vipers from Diamondbacks. It is also worth it to move into Vipers, but not as much of a value add as moving from first tier to second tier.

I have a pair of the Vipers and I'm happy with them. My son has the Diamondbacks. IMO, the difference between the two is there, but I'd try to make a bigger upgrade step if possible. I don't have Razor binos, but I have 3 Razor riflescopes and from what I've seen of the Razor binos, the jump to Razor would be a significant improvement. I have a pair of Maven B.5's and have been impressed with their quality and I've heard good things about Meopta - just helping to muddy the waters. ;)

I'd probably save up for Razors or something in that range, but the Cabelas deal on Vipers right now is very tempting!

I’ve used 10x42 Diamondbacks for the last 7 seasons and just picked up a pair of the 10x42 Vipers on a crazy good sale at Cabela’s. I’ve spent about an hour outside glassing from up close to 400+ yds and I can’t really tell a diff in optical quality and truth be told the Diamondbacks have a more forgiving sight picture, are easier to focus and are a touch lighter. I am kind of disappointed because I really wanted to see a difference. Granted this is was a quick test in full sunlight in a residential setting so a more diligent test will come shortly.

Worth the upgrade yes. Lots of people talk bad about Vortex here but they're a good company. I have the diamondback hds and love them. I've spent hours behind them and have no complaints. I like them and the no questions warranty is good peace of mind. I also have a viper scope and a second pair of binos. No issues with any of them. Scope tracks true and holds up to the recoil abuse of a 338

How about leica vs swaro?
Ever tried to split a hair with a blunt knife? Both are great, better than Zeiss too. There are differences if you get the range finder models but that is personal preference not quality.

I ran Meopta's for a while but compared to Swaro and Leica whenever I had the chance and despite what some may say they were not in the same league, especially in low light. I would never "fanboy" anything, I don't hold any belief so tight that I would let bias affect getting the best. So what I say, while only my opinion and maybe not worth a pinch of whatever, is what I have honestly found to be best in my experience. Take that from someone that only uses Leopold scopes but doesn't think they're anything other than average glass with a good warranty.

I got rid of my Meopta's and my sako 85 and bought a pair of Leica binos and a sako A7. In a way I switched average glass and a good rifle for good glass and an average rifle, best decision in hunting I've made.

Ever tried to split a hair with a blunt knife? Both are great, better than Zeiss too. There are differences if you get the range finder models but that is personal preference not quality.

I ran Meopta's for a while but compared to Swaro and Leica whenever I had the chance and despite what some may say they were not in the same league, especially in low light. I would never "fanboy" anything, I don't hold any belief so tight that I would let bias affect getting the best. So what I say, while only my opinion and maybe not worth a pinch of whatever, is what I have honestly found to be best in my experience. Take that from someone that only uses Leopold scopes but doesn't think they're anything other than average glass with a good warranty.

I got rid of my Meopta's and my sako 85 and bought a pair of Leica binos and a sako A7. In a way I switched average glass and a good rifle for good glass and an average rifle, best decision in hunting I've made.
You're the first person I've ever heard of who has downgraded your rifle for better binos? Lol

A lot of my choices are made with the cost vs quality view. There's a price you hit where the value of the product and the cost are increasing at (let's say) the same rate. As this rises, the optics might keep getting better, but it's costing more and more money to get better and while it gets better its not much better. Diminishing value is the term I believe. You can spend 1500$ on binos but they're not a whole lot better than the 1000$ binos. But if you go from a 60$ pair of binos up to a 400$ pair, the difference is immense.

You can ask everyone what they think and get their opinions about it, however the best way would to be going to the store and looking through them. Are the 1500$ binos clearer? I'm sure they are. Is it enough clarity to spend and extra 500$ over the 1000$ pair? Maybe not

Do not get vipers. Keep your diamondbacks and save every penny until you can afford used swaros. Or you’ll end up with mid grade bino(s) that have zero re-sale value.

You're the first person I've ever heard of who has downgraded your rifle for better binos? Lol

A lot of my choices are made with the cost vs quality view. There's a price you hit where the value of the product and the cost are increasing at (let's say) the same rate. As this rises, the optics might keep getting better, but it's costing more and more money to get better and while it gets better its not much better. Diminishing value is the term I believe. You can spend 1500$ on binos but they're not a whole lot better than the 1000$ binos. But if you go from a 60$ pair of binos up to a 400$ pair, the difference is immense.

You can ask everyone what they think and get their opinions about it, however the best way would to be going to the store and looking through them. Are the 1500$ binos clearer? I'm sure they are. Is it enough clarity to spend and extra 500$ over the 1000$ pair? Maybe not
I'd do it again in a heartbeat, that A7 shoots lights out at any range I shoot. Seriously underrated gun, though they're not cheap anymore.

Is the clarity worth the money? If you hunt here where animals are subject to 12 month seasons and no tag limits you need every second of daylight to get them because a big stag is nearly permanently nocturnal or close to it, so yes. And in case you were wondering mid velvet or heavily pregnant animals are no deterrent to someone that wants to kill something for fun or fog meat so there is literally no off season for these poor buggers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back