Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Vortex Diamondback vs Leupold Freedom

It's really hard for me not to pick a Leupold every time. That said, I don't own either of those scopes. We do have a few Redfield Revolutions, which I think are comparable to the Freedom. We like them a lot.

It's really hard for me not to pick a Leupold every time. That said, I don't own either of those scopes. We do have a few Redfield Revolutions, which I think are comparable to the Freedom. We like them a lot.
My Redfield Revolution took a hard lick in Wyoming and still shot dead on. Great scope for the money.

I haven’t seen a Redfield in person in a long time, but it looks like they are still available online. I can get a revolution in 2x7 for $162, may be worth checking in to!

Diamondback is made in China, so it's an easy decision. Leupold.
You're close...
  • Razor HD scopes are manufactured in Japan.
  • Vipers are made in Philippines.
  • Diamondbacks are made in Philippines made as well.
  • Crossfire scopes are produced in China.

You're close...

Okay. Well I've had two Diamondback binoculars and THEY were made in China. I assumed the Diamondback scopes were as well.

Either way, I'm not a fan of Vortex. I'd buy just about any brand over Vortex.

I am not sure of the quality of the leupold compared to the vortex. Seems like they are negligible at best? Biggest difference especially with the reason for your dad being in the market is the warranty. If you had a vortex you could send in that busted scope and they would fix or replace for free, even if it’s your fault.. funny no one mentions that on this forum
First, Leupold also has a strong warranty.

Second, every time a vortex fan pushes this point I fondly recall Tommy Boy:

When I seen the price point of the freedoms, it caught my attention. I'd be interested in a honest review of the two. I have been a fan of both brands and do have a diamond back. I have no complaints for the diamondback. I don't mess with turrets, I simply sighted the rifle in and never touched them again. 3 years no problems.

I was going to say you don't hear much about the Leupold warranty because most people don't need to use it.
I've had to, they currently have my VX5HD. Scope wouldn't hold zero, caused me to miss two animals.

I am buying a Leapold just because I have never had one. With that said. On here it's Leapold all the way but other places vortex all the way. So ether way your good I think

I've had to, they currently have my VX5HD. Scope wouldn't hold zero, caused me to miss two animals.
This seems to be a problem with the 5 and 6. Common complaint on other forums. Thankfully. I haven’t had any issues with mine.

This seems to be a problem with the 5 and 6. Common complaint on other forums. Thankfully. I haven’t had any issues with mine.
Just to clarify from my experience. I have several of each and the hold zero very well including through rough conditions and air travel. A problem that has been discussed several times on this forum is that the vertical turret release can be bumped and the turret can turn and dial up - the zero does not drift and the zero stop remains in place, but if you don’t catch it, it can cost you a shot.

You're close...

I believe a lot of that has changed in recent years. I know even their Razor binos are made in China now.

I have a vortex diamond back scope. I made the purchase before I went to eye doc and now use prescription glasses, before eye glasses the vortex was amaizing, after eye glasses it is not worth looking through. The eye relief for me is not good. I did bring a buddy to my blind for a late Doe hunt a couple years ago and he has the leupold Vx2, did a comparison and the leupold is better light gathering for the last 5 minutes of the evening hunt compared to the DB. Your dad will have to try them all out in that price price point. I went to cabelas to purchase some vortex biNos, really wanted the 10x50’s and also compared the leupold bx-2 same size. I actually went the 12x52 because of eye relief and my new 4 eyes. Good luck with the purchase

I've been running vortex for my scope (Vortex Rage 5-20x50) and also for some new binos I just picked up (Vortex Diamondback HD 10x50). So far no complaints with any of them. If money wasn't an issue, I might opt for something higher end but for what I do, this is perfect. Scope tracks true, has paralax adjustment for high magnifications, scope is still crystal clear at full power. I've shot to 400 yards with it so far. Headed to a 1200 yard range next weekend to really put it to the test!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back