Caribou Gear

Video: Wisconsin Traditional Deer Camp

dlutze

My family has been hunting the big woods since the 1940s and has kept the tradition alive even when we know there may be better places to hunt. To us, it is all about getting the guys together and camping in the woods. I think what makes our camp unique is that we bring along our shack in panels on a trailer and set them all up for the weekend. My dad innovates a little bit more and more each year. I'd like to show it to you guys, so check it out if you're interested in that sort of thing. Perhaps you belong to a deer camp or know someone who does who would get a kick out of the way we camp for opening weekend of gun season. Enjoy!www.playinhookyfishing.com

Last edited:
My family has been hunting the big woods since the 1940s and has kept the tradition alive even when we know there may be better places to hunt. To us, it is all about getting the guys together and camping in the woods. I think what makes our camp unique is that we bring along our shack in panels on a trailer and set them all up for the weekend. My dad innovates a little bit more and more each year. I'd like to show it to you guys, so check it out if you're interested in that sort of thing. Perhaps you belong to a deer camp or know someone who does who would get a kick out of the way we camp for opening weekend of gun season. Enjoy!
Awesome traditions! What’s with not seeing many? Is it CWD?

Holy mother of all camps! Looks like a great time with friends & family. I hope that tradition continues on for generations to come!

Awesome camp and story ! Unfortunately northwoods deer camps in Wisconsin are decreasing almost as fast as our family dairy farms .
Predators , lack of good young clearcuts , tough winters and too much doe harvesting in the past are making the northwoods a very challenging place to kill a deer.
The parts of Wisconsin with highest concentrations of CWD have a much higher deer population .

Man that is awesome!
The video made me miss Pennsylvania deer season big time as I did not make it back home to attend deer camp this year with the family. 😔 keep the tradition alive and take none of it for granted!!

Thanks for all the kind words, fellas! If you get the chance, check out some of my other videos. They're mostly fishing videos, but I want to get more hunting uploaded. Check out my channel and subscribe here www.youtube.com/schoolsoutfishing

I watched that on the day you posted it on Youtube, I think. That shack is really cool! Kinda like a hard sided wall tent.

My family had a similar set up in Marinette County for a few years in the early 90s - closer to Goodman Park. I know that stretch of 41 really well. That’s a great big woods buck.

Last edited:
Back