Caribou Gear

Video Camera For Filming Hunts - What do you use?

NC2CO

I have been using a Canon Vixia HF G30 HD video camera for the last 8 seasons. I consider most of what I video inside of 350 yards to be pretty decent quality, relatively speaking. I probably have $1500ish into this setup including extra batteries/chargers/etc. It isn't Outdoors Channel quality when I get it up on the big screen but decent enough for nearly a decade of fun family/friends hunting videos.

I would recommend this setup to most anyone with a budget of $1500. It has been extremely durable, easy to maintain, very user friendly, never had to send it in for repairs and all in all, an ideal setup for me so far.

With that said, I would be interested to hear about other videoing/equipment experiences and any recommendations for an upgrade to continue videoing at these distances and enhance the overall video quality.

+ a couple pictures. Camera rides a few different tripods depending on location/distance/etc..

Attachments

• zAVSq0NzQleQZXOGzVT6QA.jpg
    zAVSq0NzQleQZXOGzVT6QA.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
  • fullsizeoutput_4f02.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_4f02.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
You need something for a beginner or something inexpensive so that you do not waste money on it, maybe someone will advise you but I would not dare to buy it

You need something for a beginner or something inexpensive so that you do not waste money on it, maybe someone will advise you but I would not dare to buy it
Once I was fond of wildlife and I can advise you to turn off the flash, when shooting in a zoo, it is useless with it you will not be able to photograph animals behind glass. SLR camera blurs the front and back background, it is better to look at https://www.compactclick.com/best-mirrorless-cameras-for-beginners/ camera with a lens capable of photographing in the TV range. Many universal lenses have a focal length of more than 70 mm: Nikon AF-S DX 18-140mm F3.5-5.6 G ED VR Nikkor or Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120MM F/4G ED VR. Of course, the ideal choice will be telephoto lenses. You need to take photos with an open aperture, so we get the minimum depth of field. Therefore, the background and foreground will be blurred as much as possible.

Last edited:
You have many options, easiest way to up your quality is good audio equipment.

If you like the G30 you could upgrade to the G50, it will give you a better picture and allow more post editing options with cropping and what not.

Sony AX100 would be another option, similar to the G50 Sony has one of the best image stabilizers out there so if you do any freehand filming that's a big plus.

If you want a little more, look for canon XA45

You have many options, easiest way to up your quality is good audio equipment.

If you like the G30 you could upgrade to the G50, it will give you a better picture and allow more post editing options with cropping and what not.

Sony AX100 would be another option, similar to the G50 Sony has one of the best image stabilizers out there so if you do any freehand filming that's a big plus.

If you want a little more, look for canon XA45
Good info and great suggestions. I will take a look.

What if I'm a beginner and don't know anything about aperture and focal lengths
The Vixia HF G30 HD was the first one I bought. I don't know much about aperture and focal lengths either. We just figured it out and learned how to use a couple editing apps. Jump in and you'll learn as you go.

What if I'm a beginner and don't know anything about aperture and focal lengths
Gopro is inexpensive and does a relatively good job. I've never hunted, so I've never filmed a hunt, but I am a photographer/videographer. Key thing is get out there and familiarize yourself with your equipment and have fun. No one is perfect and you are going to screw up, don't take it to seriously at first. You can learn a great deal from youtube.

IMO go pros are worthless for hunt filming unless you are videoing yourself or expect an animal to be 15 yards away or less. I very rarely carry one anymore and when I do I very rarely use it lol

Y
IMO go pros are worthless for hunt filming unless you are videoing yourself or expect an animal to be 15 yards away or less. I very rarely carry one anymore and when I do I very rarely use it lol
You are right, but as learning tools, they are pretty good. I have used them to teach people who want to get into videography and it is in that spirit , that I gave that answer. I've had several questions along the line of novices wanting to learn and I suggest GOPRO simply because they are relatively inexpensive and you can learn how to setup and what to look for, without spending money for expensive equipment. If you find you like filming, then by all means spend the money on quality equipment. If you find your not as into filming as you thout you might be, then you've only spent a few hundred dollars at most. As someone who was payed as a photographer/videographer, you are right, GOPRO will not give you the quality you are looking for and is very limited in it's applications. The important thing here, in my opinion, is to learn how to film and see if it is for you first, then decide how you want to proceed.

I currently film with a mixture of 3 cameras.
Main camera - Canon M50
Secondary - Canon G50
Tertiary - gopro hero 7 black.

I feel like I have most situations covered between the three.

Idk guys, guess it depends on many factors. I’m primarily filming turkey and bow hunts with an occasional rifle hunt thrown in. Mostly closer range. Gonna film some pheasant and rabbit hunts this year as well but most of what I do is self filmed.
Ive always used handycams. Everything is included and operation super simple. Right now I’m using an Sony AX 43. I have no probs with video quality and I’m prob not versed in cameras enough to get full use from another type.
I keep thinking of another camera, a better one we’ll say but I don’t know if I’d ever use it.
On a side not for anyone needing a tree arm, just yesterday I got a Lone Wolf custom gear pocket arm. Was a little worried about it being too bouncy as that was what I’d heard could be an issue. With the AX 43 there wasn’t the slightest problem. That’s something that should be considered as well if used for hunts. The heavier the camera/set up, you need a heavier arm. You’ve now added even more overall weight/bulk. Add that to needing a bigger bag, (yet more weight) it’s a slippery slope. Pocket arm weight is just 1-1/2 pounds, no base or shoulder

Back