Yeti GOBOX Collection

Vests?

npaden

Okay, at some point in my crazy gear purchases I picked up a Sitka Jetstream vest in OC on a good sale. Then I bought a package deal of KUIU gear and got a guide vest with that.

I just never seem to wear them. I really like the material that both of them are made out of, I just seem to prefer to wear base layers and then a jacket instead of a vest.

Is wearing a vest an acquired taste that over time I'll come to realize that I have been missing out all these years or do I just need to sell the vests and get on with life?

Thanks, Nathan

Personally, I have found that wearing a vest has kept me warmer overall due to keeping my core warm. I have many 1/2 mile walks and bike rides during the winter in Laramie, WY (7200ft,windy as hell and cold) to attest to that. But it's personal preference, I actually don't like wearing a vest typically while hunting. Mainly due to how I have worn my layers over the years. Now that you bring light to it, I may give it a go this year.

I wear a vest for work every day beginning in the fall until summer. I wouldn't feel right without it. That being said, I never wear a vest while hunting outside of stand hunting. I find that if I am moving at all hunting elk, muledeer, etc. I get way too hot with a vest as one of my layers. I'm usually trying to cool my core down when hunting.

I carry mine on me all the time. Most of the time it's in my pack, but always have it handy. usually hiking my layers are less and when glassing it's nice to have the extra layers in case it gets colder. I would hang onto it. The nice thing with those systems are that you can shed and put on layers as needed. Love the jetstream for those windy days.

I like wearing a vest until it is so cold I have to put the coat/jacket on. I think it keeps me warmer, without getting so much bulk on my arms. A vest does not interfere with drawing my bow during archery like a jacket does.

I usually hunt with a vest and base layers, carrying a Primoloft in my pack for when I stop hiking or if the wind is howling. Way easier to stay cool while hiking and helps evaporate faster.

My vests seem to have pockets that are way more versatile and accessible than most the jackets/coats I have. I find more functionality with vests for my style of hunting.

Even in November, I am usually dressed with a Merino base top, a Core Zip-T, and then a vest. It has to get really cold or windy for me to feel any chill. The bulk of a coat seems to be noisier, more cumbersome, and too bulky.

I suspect it is like you say, "an acquired taste." I previously was a coat/jacket guy, but after finding some good vests and base layers about six or seven years ago, I have since become a convert.

I wear a vest and base layers all the time hunting. I sweat a ton while climbing elevation - so unless it is really cold (below 0 F) I start out with just the vest.

My go-to vest is a Patagonia R4. The biggest thing for me is it breaks the wind.

I pack along extra base-layers and a jacket or sweater (both wind-stopper as well). When I'm done climbing elevation - I swap out my wet base layer.

I follow this back-country skiing as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back