Venison Stock

Pics of finished stock, pre/post strain?
How long boiling? What’s the benefit of baking the bones prior to the whole boil? I’ve never even read about or attempted this and it sounds so savory I HAVE to try it. lol
I did not get any pictures before the strain (bad HT'er, I know)

Roast the bones before hand adds depth of flavor and color.
I did 45min at 400°
Longer you roast, stronger the flavor your finished product will be.
Same thing with your pot of water on the heat.

Only time it should really boil is the beginning, lower it to a simmer for the rest of the cook.
How long this process last once again depends on how stout you want the stock.

I did 9 hours total.
I've read of people doing anywhere from 4hr up to 12hr.
After it is strained you could keep reducing it to make a glace/consumé

Attachments

• 20231202_202543.jpg
    20231202_202543.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
View attachment 304388

Currently have 14 qts of spuds on the make, and another 2 full batches ready to go in.
Do you can and pressure cook in the kitchen? No mess gets on the ceiling? When I pressure cook bones to make stock, there is always some oily/residue in the steam before putting the jiggler on. So i do it in the garage or outdoors depending on the weather.
Nice canner btw, American is a heritage canner that will last many generations if used properly.

I freeze all my stock as well and works great. Few key things I've learn. One as already mentioned is to smash your bones so the marrow gets out. Second is to keep smashing your veggies as they cook. When your done, there won't be any resemblance of veggies left. Just bones and pieces of meat. Third and finally is we filter it two times for ease. Do this while it's still boiling hot. First just a typical strainer to get big chunks, then thru cheesecloth.
I do a similar process. Using a pressure cooker turns the bones to mush with the veggies, so no more smashing for me.
I pour it through a colander into a stock pot while it's still hot. Put that strained hot liquid pot on top of the grill(or any elevated surface) and another pot on the inside of a cooler full of ice on the floor. Clamp a piece of 1/4 clear tubing from pot to pot and let it gravity/siphon feed. The bottom pot has a 200 micron nut milk bag over it as a strainer, cheesecloth let's too many solids through imo.
Cool it over night, remove the solidified fat layer off the top, stir thoroughly and gravity filter one more time. Then I pressure can it. This gives me the richest, hearty, cleanest stock I've ever had. Because it's initially filtered hot, the collagen isn't removed from the stock. This is an all weekend process, but I'm doing between 20-60 quarts each session so the juice is definitely worth the squeeze.

Love this. We always save all bones and make our own stock - whether it’s elk, deer, chicken, etc. It’s a relatively easy thing to do on a Sunday when football is going too. Like others have mentioned, save all the random cutoffs from cooking in a gallon freezer bag.

Between hank Shaw and Kenji Lopez-Alt (mastermind who understands and describes so much of why you do what you do for cooking) - you can’t really go wrong. We routinely use some of the recipes or ideas from Kenji for our deer or elk if it’s not a go to recipe. Bump that against some
Hank Shaw and you’re sitting pretty.

If you’re interested, his book is called The Food Lab.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back