Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Venison Jucy Lucy

SD_Prairie_Goat

Last night I tried a new option for last years ground deer, A Jucy Lucy.

For those not familiar a Jucy lucy is just a burger stuffed with cheese prior to cooking.

I was impressed with how they all turned out, but the biggest shocker to me and the GF was when I stuffed one with cream cheese instead of Colby jack, that turned out fantastic!

If anyone is interested here is how I made it:

• Rough ground venison (large grinder plate) with about 10% pork mixed in
    • I seasoned that whole batch of meat as Italian which is typical for us
  • To make the patties I took about 1/6-1/8th of a pound of the ground venison and formed a rough patty
  • Then I added a piece of cheese slightly smaller than that patty to the middle
  • Then made one more patty of the same size and placed it on top
  • To join the two I used my burger press to press both patties together around the cheese

This worked out fantastic, the only down side when eating the burger is that it was obvious there was two patties pressed together, but I don't think there is much way around that while making the Jucy Lucy...

Word to the wise, let the burger cool down just a touch or else you will be molten hot lava in your mouth from the cheese....

57887545350__C098D994-EF8A-4340-B218-F29F47B7ECAE.JPG

Ha! I was too busy eating to take a picture, next time I make them I will have to!

I will hold you to that!

We generally host a big family party for July 4th and our usual staple food is a burger bar with ground beef, various cheeses, and other mix ins. I usually end up grilling a few customized jucy lucy's throughout the day. Good times.

I’m going to make some of these tonight. Might throw some chopped olives in them.

Sounds great! May have to play ball with that in the next few days.

Someone said the magic word... Bacon!

I've done a variation on your Juicy Lucy with both venison and elk that has turned out really well. Instead of making two patties with a slice of cheese sandwiched in between, I mix my ground meat (pure, no pork and almost all fat trimmed out) with shredded mozzarella, cut up power greens (kale, spinach, etc.), Lowry's seasoning salt, diced onions, a hint of corn starch, coarsely ground pepper and sometimes a bit of A1 steak sauce. I hand-shape patties and put them on the grill medium/high. This results in a healthy, delicious burger that has more "juice" than my normal burgers...since I leave so little fat in the meat when processing. Hope this helps... Note: I may need to try the cream cheese idea!

I've done a variation on your Juicy Lucy with both venison and elk that has turned out really well. Instead of making two patties with a slice of cheese sandwiched in between, I mix my ground meat (pure, no pork and almost all fat trimmed out) with shredded mozzarella, cut up power greens (kale, spinach, etc.), Lowry's seasoning salt, diced onions, a hint of corn starch, coarsely ground pepper and sometimes a bit of A1 steak sauce. I hand-shape patties and put them on the grill medium/high. This results in a healthy, delicious burger that has more "juice" than my normal burgers...since I leave so little fat in the meat when processing. Hope this helps... Note: I may need to try the cream cheese idea!

This sounds almost perfect, except you should use Johnny's instead of Lowry's 😆 lol just kidding man. Sounds great.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back