Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Vegan couple gets life over baby's death

MNHunter

Vegan couple gets life over baby's death Malnourished baby was fed soy milk and apple juice, weighed 3 1/2 pounds
The Associated Press
Updated: 1:55 p.m. CT May 9, 2007
ATLANTA - A vegan couple were sentenced Wednesday to life in prison for the death of their malnourished 6-week-old baby boy, who was fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice.

Superior Court Judge L.A. McConnell imposed the mandatory sentences on Jade Sanders, 27, and Lamont Thomas, 31. Their son, Crown Shakur, weighed just 3 1/2 pounds when he died of starvation on April 25, 2004.

The couple were found guilty May 2 of malice murder, felony murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty to children. A jury deliberated about seven hours before returning the guilty verdicts.

Defense lawyers said the first-time parents did the best they could while adhering to the lifestyle of vegans, who typically use no animal products. They said Sanders and Thomas did not realize the baby, who was born at home, was in danger until minutes before he died.

But prosecutors said the couple intentionally neglected their child and refused to take him to the doctor even as the baby’s body wasted away.

“No matter how many times they want to say, ‘We’re vegans, we’re vegetarians,’ that’s not the issue in this case,” said prosecutor Chuck Boring. “The child died because he was not fed. Period.”

Although the life sentences were automatic, Sanders and Thomas begged for leniency before sentencing. Sanders urged the judge to look past his “perception” of the couple.

“I loved my son — and I did not starve him,” she said.

When the judge told the defendants they could ask for a new trial, Thomas hung his head low.

“I’m dying every day in there,” he said, “and that could take three years.”

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

It was extremely stupid what those idiots did, but I don't think they deserve to be locked up for life. It's not like they're a danger to society. Just don't allow them to breed.

I think they should both go on a nature walk...preferably retracing the tracks of the heroic Marbles the wonder dog! There was no "life" in that chosen lifestyle for that young boy! |oo

Weren't even smart enough to breast feed?

Animals know better. Not much excuse unless there is more to the story.

Why not life in prison? What do you think the punishment for murder should be? However, if they agreed to both be sterilized and never be around kids again, you may be on to something.

On a side note, how would you like to be named Chuck Boring?

Why not life in prison? Well, just because like I said, I don't see how they are a threat to society. What is the point of locking them up? Who is being protected? There are many much more dangerous criminals that don't get life in prison. What about child molesters? I think they should lock them up and throw away the key, because chances are they are going to do it again. I think it is so stupid that, at least where I live, sex offenders are required to register with police where they are living, and then the police notify everybody living in that area. If these people are that dangerous, why are they free? |oo

These idiotic vegans should have got a couple years in prison to give them time to think about what they did. I guess I just don't see it as being "murder," I see it as stupidity.

They gave birth to a child at home, he lived for six weeks, weighed 3.5 pounds at death and they had never taken him to a doctor.

That child slowly starved to death while they watched him suffer for six weeks and never did a damn thing about it.

Much more than mere stupidity in my eyes. They'll probably serve 10 to 15 years. Got what they deserved and should also be made sterile.

. Got what they deserved and should also be made sterile.

they can get this done at home also coat hangers and a few rubber bands should do the trick, no need to get the docs involved as they didnt with there kid. :BLEEP:

Can't believe there are people this stupid. How can you watch a baby starve to death and not take him to the Dr.|oo That baby was totally dependent on his parents and they watched him die. They should be in prison for awhile to think about that. (I also think they should be working their asses off in jail so we, the tax payers, don't have to foot the bill).:D

(I also think they should be working their asses off in jail so we, the tax payers, don't have to foot the bill).:D

That's why I think it's dumb to put them in prison for life. Why should we support losers like that? Let them support themselves. They're most likely not a danger to society, they're just extremely stupid! And don't let them breed!

Since I have a 3 year old grandson who reminded me of the wonders of life I recommend only a six week sentence. No food during that time and if they can survive let them out. Both in the same cell.

I don't see what being a "vegan" has to do with starving your baby to death? If you choose not to eat meat, or any animal byproducts, great for you. But you can't plead ignorance when it comes to being a parent. I guess soy milk, is better than breat milk, I mean it is so natural and all.

"These idiotic vegans should have got a couple years in prison to give them time to think about what they did. I guess I just don't see it as being "murder," I see it as stupidity."

I hear where your coming from, but couldn't everyone plead stupidity and get a "get out of jail free" card?

If being stupid was a crime, well, I would probably be locked up for life!

Well, like I said, I just don't see what the point is of locking up people who are not a threat to society. Do you think these people are a danger to anybody, other than any future babies they may have? So is that why they are locking them up....just to prevent them from breeding?

ringer, I like your idea. I'd support that! :D

I'd support locking them up and feeding a steady diet of Ensure and Spam just to get them "regulated" into society!

WH- You could say that about any type of child abuse or neglect. They are only a danger until the kid dies then they are no threat at all. Hell, Ted Bundy was only a threat until the people were dead...if everyone were dead...no threat at all. Sometimes you have to use your head. The punishment is not always based solely on the threat to society. It is also based on the deed itself as well as being used as a deterrent to the crime.

Back