Vanguard with Talley lightweights

Brandon270

I just mounted a luepold vx3hd on my vanguard with Talley one piece lightweights. When adjusting the scope for best eye relief at high power before torquing the rings, I feel like I need the scope to come back a bit more. As you can see I'm maxed out on the front ring. Other than shaving down the recoil pad or getting a shorter length of pull stock does anyone else have a suggestion of something I'm missing? IMG_20210812_153656347.jpgIMG_20210812_154458783.jpg

Last edited:
super nice setup. try an adjust the focus at different power?? kind of a stretch. like you said they may need to be switched out. good luck. hunting seasons just around the corner can't wait.

Did you get it figured out? I like your setup...same as mine! I just mounted the VX3HD and am looking forward to sighting it in.

After taking it to the range I think the eye relief is just about right. I could probably use another 1/4-1/2 inch to make it "perfect" but I felt pretty good with it and was getting consistent 1" groups while breaking it in.

Someone brought up extended rings but they aren't available with low rings from talley which is what I'm running. I think I'll leave it be and when I decide to get a Bell and Carlson stock put on I will order it with a 1/2" shorter length of pull.

What caliber is this? I won an identical gun in 7 rem mag at an RMEF banquet. Pretty good looking set up. My only issue is i shot it once with the box of cheap Winchester ammo that came with it and it barely grouped inside 2". Hoping to get better with some groups with some Hornady SSTs that I found.

Mine is a 25-06. I started with Hornady American whitetail that grouped around 1 1/2". Then I ran some federal premium with Barnes tsx bullets, they grouped right at 1". I was happy with that because it might tighten up a little more as it breaks in and I have to hunt lead free so I'll take it.

I really like the luepold vx3hd. I wasn't sure if I'd go with the 3.5-10 or the 4.5-14, but I'm glad I went with the extra magnification.

What caliber is this? I won an identical gun in 7 rem mag at an RMEF banquet. Pretty good looking set up. My only issue is i shot it once with the box of cheap Winchester ammo that came with it and it barely grouped inside 2". Hoping to get better with some groups with some Hornady SSTs that I found.
Try some different ammo. If that doesn't help follow the procedure that Weatherby has for torqueing the action screws.

Try some different ammo. If that doesn't help follow the procedure that Weatherby has for torqueing the action screws.
Yeah I definitely need to. I haven't heard many people have accuracyissues with the second gen vanguards so I'm hopeful I can find an ammo that works.

Good looking set up. I’m new to Leupold and purchased a VX 5 HD from Schmalts. Love it. Bad part is now I’m wanting to replace my other scopes that don’t really need replacing. That fire dot reticle is the bomb.

After taking it to the range I think the eye relief is just about right. I could probably use another 1/4-1/2 inch to make it "perfect" but I felt pretty good with it and was getting consistent 1" groups while breaking it in.

Someone brought up extended rings but they aren't available with low rings from talley which is what I'm running. I think I'll leave it be and when I decide to get a Bell and Carlson stock put on I will order it with a 1/2" shorter length of pull.
Sorry, I've been paying attention because I have a Vanguard I need to scope at some point and have been concerned about running into the very issue you're looking at.

I'm not a rifle guy so sorry if I'm missing something but it looks to me like Talley does offer low/extended rings according to there sight.

Sorry, I've been paying attention because I have a Vanguard I need to scope at some point and have been concerned about running into the very issue you're looking at.

I'm not a rifle guy so sorry if I'm missing something but it looks to me like Talley does offer low/extended rings according to there sight.

Wow I don't know how I missed that! Thanks for sharing that, I think I will order some and swap them out.

Good looking set up. I’m new to Leupold and purchased a VX 5 HD from Schmalts. Love it. Bad part is now I’m wanting to replace my other scopes that don’t really need replacing. That fire dot reticle is the bomb.
Thats my hold up on ordering one. Upgrades tend to do that to me.

I know the vx5 is a solid step up from the vx3 line but I will say the clarity on the vx3 is excellent compared to the vortex Scopes I have on my other rifles.
I’d say 99% of shooters could get by just fine with the VX3 HD, I know I could. Folks just like choices I guess and that’s a good thing.

I’d say 99% of shooters could get by just fine with the VX3 HD, I know I could. Folks just like choices I guess and that’s a good thing.
Nothing wrong with choices, and if someone is the kind of person that wants the best get a vx 5 or 6, but like you said vx3 is a lot of scope for the majority of hunters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back