MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Vane length

jwh525

Hey guys,
I'm looking for help or opinions on what is better, the longer vanes or the shorter ones.
What is the advantage/ disadvantage of shooting a longer vane?
What is the advantage/ disadvantage of shooting shorter vanes?
Is one better for carbon arrows?
Any help or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
John

I have shot both 4" and now the Blazer or Fusion 2"....The longer vanes give you better steering capability, but you can now get that with the 2" also...The biggest thing with the shorter vanes is weight in that it gives you more FOC.

It comes down to tuning your bow...If your bow is tuned you can shoot either and you'll be fine then it's all about personal choice...

Attachments

• Blazers.JPG
    Blazers.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 469
I like the short blazer vanes. I think they are a little faster. I don't like the short vanes that have a lot of spin, they slow the arrow down too much. Most of my shots are close range, 30 yards or less.

I like a 4 inch vane for hunting. Fletch flex is my fav.A Longer vane will help steer a broadhead better.I do shoot a 2 inch vane for 3d. It is not as forgiving but less surface area.Best of luck and play around a little bit its that time of year.

I like the 2 inch ones for less wind drift...I hunt alot of pronghorn and mule deer where you get a good share of wind...and they fly great with my shuttle t's

I'd say it all comes down drag. 4" vanes have more drag than a 3" or 2" (shorter or smaller) vanes. That said, the angle that the vanes are fletched can cause more or less drag as well. If your shooting the turkey guillotine vs a smaller fixed broadhead then you may need more drag. There is a happy place for your set up wear you have enough drag to fly straight and not too much to slow arrow flight. Perhaps you should try something in the middle and then adjust up or down accordingly.

I appreciate all of the input. I guess I'll continue to play and see what works best. Besides it'll give me a reason to buy a fletching jig now. Next question. Can you safely remove old vanes and the glue from carbon arrows without damaging the shaft? Any tips or techniques that you'd share?

They sell fletching removing tools. Scrape them real good then soak them in acetone...I use nail polish remover and scrape them again. Then run them under really hot water and scrub them with a green scrubby pad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back