Vail resorts good or evil?:nimbyism in the inter mountain west.

It's still really hard to beat, on a powder day with the tunnel closed it's hard if not impossible to beat vail, breck is close but less stuff to jump off of, steamboat is waaaay over hyped. Aspen highlands is super fun but not better than Vail on a power day. WP meh, BC meh, Wolf creek is flat as F.

I've skied most the state on a great day, still #1 in my mind.

beaver creek gets the edge tho. is also about as good as it gets on a powder day and you get free, fresh, hot, soft cookies at 3pm.

and s'more time. don't forget s'more time.

beaver creek gets the edge tho. is also about as good as it gets on a powder day and you get free, fresh, hot, soft cookies at 3pm.

and s'more time. don't forget s'more time.

The cookies are good, but on a powder day... nah

the problem with vail is it's vail.

i'd still go steamboat all day long.

but for powder, steep trees, quicker laps, and some cliffs, i'm choosing stone creek chutes over just about all of it.

we all know i'm just here the apres anyway
Steamboat’s overrated.
Especially on weekends.

For the average skier who didn’t grow up with western priv and doesn’t need extreme terrain, I feel like sc is very unknown and potentially underrated.

It's still really hard to beat, on a powder day with the tunnel closed it's hard if not impossible to beat vail, breck is close but less stuff to jump off of, steamboat is waaaay over hyped. Aspen highlands is super fun but not better than Vail on a power day. WP meh, BC meh, Wolf creek is flat as F.

I agree. Nice flat landings, perfect sub 30 degree back bowls, barely a crowd. Much better than, say, CB or telluride.

Steamboat over hyped?!
scaler-create-impact.gif

No shortage of Erno Lazlo'd bunnies tho...
The Bogner family being tip of the spear on ski stretch pants was a key to the last 50 years of "sight-seeing" on Ajax :)
Steamboat over hyped?!

While the general area is one of my favorite parts of the entire world, I would concur Steamboat (the resort) is overrated on groomer days (and, in recent years, on weekends after 10:00).

It's nearly unmatched (certainly in CO) on a powder day in the aspens. First Tracks upgrade on a pow day is the best 40 bucks you can spend skiing if you like skiing trees and dislike people. I do wonder what the new gondola spur over to Sunshine is going to do to crowding next year, though. Maybe it will be offset by the terrain adds on Pioneer ridge.

I'd probably pick Snowmass over anything else in CO on a standard groomer day. Honestly, the more years go by, the more I pick coffee and/or beer with a view at the base of any resort. I let my kids and @DouglasR do the shredding these days...they have more ligament tissue to give.

Skiing in UT sucks. Stay in CO. 😜
I'm coming back next year.
My days as an industry insider are over.
Next year I'm going back to being a regular old tourist and I'd really like to do a west coast run.
something like copper>BB>Idaho>Washington>Oregon>California and swing through Utah on the way home.

I'm coming back next year.
My days as an industry insider are over.
Next year I'm going back to being a regular old tourist and I'd really like to do a west coast run.
something like copper>BB>Idaho>Washington>Oregon>California and swing through Utah on the way home.
Saving the best for last?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back