Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Utah OTC Any Weapon-South Slope

schlic406

hey guys,

Just curious if anyone on here has ever hunted the Utah South Slope, Bonanza/Vernal/Yellowstone unit in the general season. I have done a fair amount of research through Google earth, ONxMaps, and goHunt. It seems there is a fairly decent population of elk in the area and quite a bit of public land to hunt. just wondered what your experiences have been and if there are areas that are better than others. I am NOT looking for someones honey hole rather just general information about the unit. i plan on getting off the beaten path but will only have a day of scouting and three to hunt. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! TIA

While I haven't hunted elk there, I did take a nice 5x5 mulie in the area above Vernal. Biggest problem was access. Local ranchers have orange painted lots of gates and fences on public land. The bastards also like to lock gates!!! Take onxmaps and a bolt cutter with you. GJ

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely have my OnxMaps. Hoping to get up one of the main drainages in the Ashley NF and get away from the roads!

Check out hells canyon area and around moon lake. The elk are there just need to find them.
Also the area has a ton of tribal lands so make sure you have your gps.
Me and my son will also be hunting those areas

Thanks for the help. That was one of the areas highlighted on my maps. Best of luck!

Make sure you get a antlerless control tag also. If still available. You will be able to also shoot a cow on that unit during your hunt

I'm from this area so here's a few pointers. Our area has a ton of hunting pressure and especially so for the any weapon hunt. There are also a lot of trails so you can get around on a four wheeler or whatever. That is a two edged sword because the elk don't like to be by the roads and some yuppie will eventually ruin your hunt by running their ATV right up to the clearing you walked into well before light. I have killed plenty of elk out of my truck so keep that in mind. You don't always have to run into the deepest canyon to find one. The forest service has been closing quite a few trails which has made access difficult to a few places unless you have horses. Some other pointers; occasionally you might hear a cow call or bugle but for the most part the elk are very call shy. Unless its November when they seem to rut because our elk are weird haha. This is looking like a good year but still don't be surprised if you don't see elk but for the first and last 10 minutes of the day. Once the activity picks up and the bullets start flying they will be in the trees and canyons! On that note..watch out for bullets, people get crazy up here. Definitely know the borders of tribal land and stay off of it, they aren't lenient if your caught on their land. Also if your above Vernal, Simplot Phosphate is private and you have the Diamond Mtn limited entry unit on the east side that you need to know the borders of as well. It can be a good hunt some years but probably my best advice is don't pass on a bull with horns to find a bigger one. Hope this helps and best of luck!

I hunted there for over 20 years. I am willing to give a few great areas where you have a good chance at an elk. PM me if you are interested.

Really appreciate all your help. I will definietely heed your advice especially on the unit boundaries/private land/etc. I love to eat elk so anything that is legal i will not pass. Thanks again!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HHunt
Back