Utah Done

I’m not sure what you’re reading. The posted screenshot shows 54 tags. They went to the 54 people with the most points. Of people with 3pts, there were 88, and only 13 got tags. That means that 55 people who had 3pts, now have 4pts. That does not include point buyers. Half the people in UT buy points, and don’t apply until they’re ready. Plenty of people with 5pts are going to put in for that hunt. I doubt 3pts gets you very good odds.

IF NOTHING CHANGES then 55 people will have 4pts, and one of them will not get a tag.
75 people will have 4 points next year, not 55. That just reinforces your message that if the same people apply next year, zero people with 3 points will draw.

I applied again for everything across the board with 5 points. Not sure why. I gotta pull the plug on Utah. I’m never gonna draw a limited entry tag and i don’t think the general deer is worth it compared to CO, especially seeing as I’ll be a R in Colorado next year. Probably gonna keep applying until I burn my general deer points on a hunt and then get out of the Utah game.

Utah is cheap. But keep in mind you get next to nothing in odds for what you're spending.

Unless you go every 1-3 years for Utah GS deer, or cow elk, or general elk, it's hard to see why someone would start up with Utah. Or even keep going if only have a few points to abandon. 49.9% of the LE/OIL tags are unobtainable for you - but your dollars are subsidizing those tags anyway.

Have only edited my elk application 3 times...back..forth...back...forth between two unit. Pathetic I know. But when you are finally in the running for a max bonus points tag it suddenly 'gets real'.
Do you have max points? Yikes. I’ve probably google earthed the units I didn’t choose more than most in MT that I hunt. I will be very bummed if I don’t draw, but it only takes one person to crush my dreams. 🤣

I applied again for everything across the board with 5 points. Not sure why. I gotta pull the plug on Utah. I’m never gonna draw a limited entry tag and i don’t think the general deer is worth it compared to CO, especially seeing as I’ll be a R in Colorado next year. Probably gonna keep applying until I burn my general deer points on a hunt and then get out of the Utah game.
You never should have bought in 6 years ago. Elvis had left the building long, long before.

You never should have bought in 6 years ago. Elvis had left the building long, long before.
I have family there and have already done one general deer hunt there during that time period with my BIL and will likely do another one there in the next few years. But yeah, in hindsight, it’s a state I should have just skipped on.

Do you have max points? Yikes. I’ve probably google earthed the units I didn’t choose more than most in MT that I hunt. I will be very bummed if I don’t draw, but it only takes one person to crush my dreams. 🤣
No, just high enough that the last 3 years of stats suggest I should draw in the max round. I started with deer back when could only do one regular and one OIL app per year....You are comfortably way ahead of me on points but I have the points to draw what I want absent some "Greenhorn guy" getting clever and boxing me out. So many units have precious few bonus round tags for nonresidents. Tough out there, and easy to get bounced by guys jumping in with piles of points.

Yep. I think there is going to be a LOT of movement. I’m taking my 23 elk points out of circulation; should have a few more points than any of the projections so I’m feeling confident.

Yep. I think there is going to be a LOT of movement. I’m taking my 23 elk points out of circulation; should have a few more points than any of the projections so I’m feeling confident.
I bet point creep will be earth shattering for Utah elk this year.

I might have applied for the same unit... You could draw random though...;)

More seriously I think the odds are better to draw a resident sheep tag in my own state than any animal in Utah. I'm on a 30+ year drought on sheep for the record..:sick:

I still don't think I understand how all this point stuff works. This is my third year putting in for a general buck tag in Utah. This is the 2022 draw odds chart for one of the two units I think I might have a chance to draw in. Am I reading this correctly?

There are 52 total tags available, and all the applicants with 4+ points got one. That left 13 tags available to 88 applicants with 3 pts. Do they have a drawing among those 88 for the tags? So there is almost 15% chance for me to draw this year? (Assuming the numbers of applicants and tags is similar.)

Now that I look at the chart again, the 7pt line is throwing me off. Why wouldn't they both get tags?

View attachment 273520
The 7 point person that didn't draw drew something else that took them out of the draw. Either a LE or OIL permit.

Waited until the 2 minute warning, but got in. Only 22 deer points and 14 elk, so just donating again.

I pulled a le deer tag in 2020 on year 4 and know a guy that had a desert ram tag last year on like 7 points it happens looking forward to it happening again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back