Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Utah Bulls locked together

Spitz

Got this email yesterday. Thought I'd share. . .

Guys,

Here is how my day started yesterday (11-29-2007)

Got a call that 2 bull elk were locked up and one was dead the other still alive.

The bulls were in a field about 15 miles Northeast of Monticello.

When I got there I actually found 2 bulls locked antlers... I thought this only happened in other areas...

J. and I were going to tranquilize the bull and saw antlers...one problem..we did not have enough of the drugs to do a good job. So we walked out there and sawed the one point off of the dead bulls right antler and then we had to saw the main beam of the left antler to get the other bull free. The whale tail was over the bulls eyes, lodged between the eye guards. When we cut it free the bull stood there for awhile catching its breath with the piece of the antler still in it's antlers. When it took off the piece of antler came out...

WOW! this was for sure one of the most memorable days....

Enjoy the pics.

TJ

TJ Robertson
Conservation Officer

Moab District
State of Utah, Division of Wildlife Resources

Attachments

• bulls1.jpg
    bulls1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 554
  • bulls1a.jpg
    bulls1a.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 556
  • bulls2.jpg
    bulls2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 554
  • bulls3.jpg
    bulls3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 551
  • bulls4.jpg
    bulls4.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 553
Here's some more . . .

Attachments

• bulls8.jpg
    bulls8.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 553
  • bulls7.jpg
    bulls7.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 552
  • bulls6.jpg
    bulls6.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 555
  • bulls5.jpg
    bulls5.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 550
  • bulls9.jpg
    bulls9.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 553
WOW what interesting pictures. Its to bad one of them had to die.. olefish

Never mind.;)

Got a call that 2 bull elk were locked up and one was dead the other still alive.

When we cut it free the bull stood there for awhile catching its breath with the piece of the antler still in it's antlers.

Cool!! Surprised they cut the horns on the dead bull. Usually they do the opposite so they can save it and put em' up in their local offices. Hopefully they figured the one still alive had gone through enough.

I'm just amazed that a wiley wild Utah elk bull would stand there like that. He must have been really, really tired. I wonder how long the other one was dead, he doesn't look swollen up or anything. Down here its so warm, the swell up pretty fast, dead animals, I don't know about up there.

Having a mount with anothers elk antlers still stuck would be awesome, for those who could appreciate what they were seeing.

I wonder if they thought about sawing the live ones antler? They might have gotten the dead ones antlers complete then. It might be pushing it eh, saw antlers of a live rutting bull elk?

I'm just amazed that a wiley wild Utah elk bull would stand there like that. He must have been really, really tired. I wonder how long the other one was dead, he doesn't look swollen up or anything. Down here its so warm, the swell up pretty fast, dead animals, I don't know about up there.

It looks warm there too.... Uhh Except for the snow and all, but opther then that......

I wonder if they thought about sawing the live ones antler? They might have gotten the dead ones antlers complete then. It might be pushing it eh, saw antlers of a live rutting bull elk?

They could have cut the head off of the live bull too... then they could have done 2 shoulder mounts !!!

Out of 20,513 posts, that's got to be rated toward the bottom, but then again, I've not read a lot of those posts.

Are you trying to tell me you think nobody would think of that question?

What question is that Tom ? the one about how hot it is and there is snow on the ground ? or the one about cutting off antlers of a Live elk ?

My guess is "somebody" would think of that question.... and did ;)

I've seen a mount with 2 deer locked horn. Cutting off the head of both elk would make a good mount. Don't you think someone would think about that question ?

Yeah, but they didn't have a tag for the live one, I guess. I don't think it was hot, they have big ole hat on and big coats and as you say, there is some snow.

I wonder how that went? "you hold him, I'll cut." "No you hold him, its your idea." "I got seniority, you cut, I ain't holding him." That would be my guess.

I wonder how that went? "you hold him, I'll cut." "No you hold him, its your idea." "I got seniority, you cut, I ain't holding him." That would be my guess
is that the CO's talking or the elk there Tom??

......someone's hearing voices.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back