Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Utah Bull elk and California x-12 mule deer.

huntbux

So my dad had 3 good tags this year in 3 different states. Archery elk in Arizona 11m, he was down there for the whole season but couldn't make it happen. He passed on a spike on day 2 at 25 yards, really looking for a branch antlered bull, saw a lot elk but could just never get close enough to make it happen.
Next he was off to Utah for his Wasatch bull muzzle loader hunt. He was up there for about a week. Hunted in a few areas and met some locals who helped him fulfill his tag on a great bull. 35 yards with a muzzle loader and one hell of a pack out.
Came home to California and had the last weekend really of his x-12 mule deer hunt. Got a call from a buddy of ours that he had been hunting with and they let him know they had 5 bucks spotted and if he hurried over they could get on them before sundown. So he drove 30 miles across the zone and made it in time to take a real nice California mule deer.
pics posted below.

2011UATHBULLHUNT004.jpg

2011UATHBULLHUNT024.jpg

2011UATHBULLHUNT032.jpg

2011UATHBULLHUNT034.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

BillsDeer10-9-11003.jpg

That is a CVA optima muzzleloader. Shoots great. Season has gone great. With my antelope, Dad's elk and buck and his g/f elk we have lots of meat.

Yeah the elk is crazy, his right side is about 3 inches more forward on the head than the left. He is a 6x4. The buck is a very good representation of what can be found in the zone. We have seen larger bucks but it seems to be few and far between. We have also had some bad luck with locals in the area hunting out some areas. Thanks for the responses and hope to see some more soon of others success. Randy (Big Fin) also want to thank you for this site. I think it is a very useful and appreciated place for hunters to come and share the real enjoyment of hunting together. If it was not for this site, I do not believe my dad would have harvested that bull. Thanks again.

I wish I could say x-12 is the zone it was 5-10 years ago. We have video tape of huge mule deer and bucks everywhere. However, the zone has been very poorly managed by hunters and DFG alike in the area. For some reason they seem to think the heard is stronger than ever, the locals know that it is not the case. If anyone ever gets the tag for this zone let me know and I will help the best I can. Hope some day soon the DFG listens to the locals and does some work to make the zone better.

Nice bull, and that is spectacular country. I know right where you are, hunted there since I was teen. The fishing is mighty fine there too. Congrats!!!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back