Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

UT 9 mile Anthro, Myton bench

Khunter

Drew the lone nonresident archery lope tag for this unit.

thoughts, advise, suggestions for approaching this bowhunt are appreciated. Will be a new area to me so a few pointers or words of wisdom for approaching this vast and varied terrain are appreciated. Will have about 5 days to hunt.

Spot and stalk and belly crawl is my usual lope bowhunt strategy. Have found that the best way to really learn and appreciate the area snakes, ants and cactus...Maybe even recreate this decoying opportunity as from my AZ archery hunt only with a bigger buck :hump: That is my decoy n the left. The buck is at 10 feet.

--Khunter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 391
I drew one of the nr rifle tags for the same unit. I've found very little info on the area via usual online venues. Where you at in Colorado?

Well, congrats on the tag. Stats for the unit look good. It should be a fun hunt. What I have been able to find.... the herd took a hit a few years back. Utah dwr relocated a bunch of pronghorn into the unit after the population drop to boost numbers. Not a whole lot else. I'll get at least one scouting trip in during the first few weeks of August, just to familiarize myself with the area.

Good luck.

Good luck to you as well. Feel free to hit me up for info after my hunt. I will give it about 5 days then have to be ready for Sept 1 WY elk opener. Max preference points invested in that elk tag.

if you are scouting during archery opener you can watch me spook many a herd into the next county:cool:

Last edited:
Just thought I'd throw this back to the top of the pile. I'm also be interested if anyone has any experience in this area of Utah. I've done a fair bit of map scouting, still not sure where I'm going to focus. I need to get eyes-on the unit and orient myself a bit. It looks like access from the south is via Nine Mile Canyon, access from the north via Myton.

We've been getting quite a bit of moisture the past 2 weeks here. Radar has indicated a bit of precip in the unit as well.

Weather will dictate scouting over the next few weekends. Next clear weekend I'll try to get out there with my 7YO son for some glassing and orientation.

Back