Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Using a tree climber 101

Nut

Since we have 3 tree climbers now and will be getting used to them this summer I would like some helpful hints and things to look out for. This will help us be able to be safer and better prepared.

So could you all help?

Wear the harness, wear the harness, wear the harness. On the way up, on the way down and the whole time in between.

Mine North Starr slipped a little last season while climbing up and the bottom dropped out. I had it tied together but with a 6 foot line....harness saved my butt for sure. I was prolly 35+ feet up too.

I take a lightweight ratchet and lock the seat down once I get up there too. Keeps it from swinging if you put too much pressure on one side or the other.

Let it slip 1/4" one time, and you won't need any advice about checking and rechecking srews, bolts, welds, harnesses, and ties!!!! :eek:

Hire one of these....
That will help you get into any tree.. :)

Tree_Topping.sized.jpg

nut, i found this list of tree stand saftey tips for ya.....it covers all tree stand hunting in general, not just climbers (i made bold one that i thought could possibly concern you)

SIDEBAR: TREE-STAND SAFETY TIPS
So, what should the deer hunter who wants to hunt from a tree stand do? These tips are summarized from the Deer & Deer Hunting survey results and other sources:

•Replace commercial or homemade hang-on and self-climbing stands with commercial stands certified by the Tree Stand Manufacturers? Association (TSMA).

•Wear a full-body harness at every possible moment you?re off the ground.

•Never use a tree branch for support or as a step.

•Check out a permanent tree stand before climbing into it.

•Be extra cautious when climbing in bad weather.

•Never climb when tired or when on medication.
•Use a rope to raise and lower bow, gun or other gear.

•Move slowly and carefully when off the ground, especially Êat the end of a long hunt when you might be cold or cramped.

•Hunt with a partner or leave word and a map with someone you trust.

•Carry a cell phone or two-way radio.

•Treat a tree stand as you would a motorcycle. Fear and respect it always, or it might kill you.

i personally dont use climbers i feel much safer with a ladder stand........ ....... most hunting accidents are caused by falling out of a tree stand. especially after you start feeling comfortable with your equipment and you let your guard down..so you guys becareful! :)

Here in cornfield country, we set up for whitetails in little 5 to 20 acre woodlots out amongst the crop fields. A climbing tree stand is one of the best hunting tools I've ever owned. You have the ability to always play the wind correctly, set up in new undisturbed spots each time, and nobody else knows where you are hunting because you haul it in and out each time.

I hope you bought good quality stands, as there are tremendous differences in the quality, comfort and safety. I currently use an API grand slam magnum, but plan on going to a Summit bullet backpacker this fall. Those two as well as Old Man and Buckshot are all good stands. Can't speak for the others, however there are some cheapo death traps out there. A good one will run $200 or more.

I consider climbers far more comfortable and much safer than hang on type stands. The good ones climb real easy and are rock solid. The tip about having a teather line between the platform and seat section is critical. Also, when I get to my preferred height, I simply wrap a stretch bungee strap around back of tree (on both components) to keep the teeth dug in where they are supposed to be. Also, take a couple screw in steps to hang gear, bow, etc. on. Leave your gear on the ground and hoist it up with a rope after set up.

The climbing seat section wraps around you so you are inside a little safety rail, and sitting with your back to the tree is like an easy chair. I've dozed off a couple times, which isn't highly recommended. Can't say I've ever had any serious scares, and I use one at least 20 outings per year.

Get to using one, and you'll really like it.

Nut, one big thing, DO NOT GET TO CLOSE TO THE TREE!! you lose your leverage and can take a slide. Keep out towards the end as much as possible

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back