upper greys wyoming camp spots

Jakedjones

myself and my party of 5 have drawn the general Wyoming elk tag, took the month of October off and driving with an enclosed trailer from south Georgia. narrowed our preferred hunt areas to the wyoming range, more specifically the upper greys river. ive noticed there seems to be a plethora of improved camp grounds along the river. got my hand slapped a few months ago on here for asking for a little too much info on specific units, so ill just leave that alone and redirect to any help that you guys could afford me to make the trip more seamless. We'll be on the mountain for the entire season. from the 15th through then end of the month.

would like to get an idea for how the improved camp ground atmospheres are in the area during hunting season, or if it would be best for us to just make an unimproved camp somewhere in one of the units. by staying along the greys i feel like that would put us in adequate position to hit a larger area with relative ease.

its been 15 years since I or any of my party has hunted the area. are there any DO's or DONT's that you fellas could recommend for our trip? anything that you guys regret taking or doing or wish you would have? we will be staying in an outfitter style tent/camp set up. ive tried contacting some folks from the national forest service in the area but havent gotten the greatest information to be honest, and ive not been able to contact any of the local biologists.

one of my party members has a black bear tag and plans to hunt him with a .41 magnum revolver does any one have any tips for success on that? ive never personally hunted a bear.

would you think that an ATV is worth taking to navigate part of the area? or better left at home? this was one specific question I had for the national forest service but never got a clear answer on because these vehicles have obviously designated areas for use.

I realize my questions my be a bit broad, so if i can clarify ill certainly try, but overall just want to get some feedback on the camp situations and locations, and like i said for any useful advice on what some have found to be more of a burden than an asset.

I can’t help you with the specific area, but I avoid improved campgrounds when hunting. There’s always someone there staying up all night making a lot of noise. I also like the solitude of camping without other people around. I think it adds to the experience.

I’ll be hunting that same area for the rifle deer season that opens September 15. I spent a few days down there last September scouting in anticipation of drawing the tag this year. There are designated campgrounds all along Greys River Road, but I don’t know if I would call them improved. I guess it depends what your definition of “improved” is, but they seemed rather rustic to me. You can camp pretty much wherever you want along the road, so no need to stay in the designated campgrounds.

In my opinion, you don’t need an ATV. The road is a good gravel road that any passenger car can travel. If you wanted to use your ATV instead of your truck to get around you could, but it seems like a long way to haul an ATV for that purpose.

I heard a few elk bugling when I was scouting last year towards the end of September. If you put in the miles I bet you’ll have a fun hunt. Good luck!

I can’t help you with the specific area, but I avoid improved campgrounds when hunting. There’s always someone there staying up all night making a lot of noise. I also like the solitude of camping without other people around. I think it adds to the experience.

I absolutely hate campgrounds be they KOA, national park, NFS, whatever seems like every time I stay in one there is some POS group of people that are up until 2am getting hammered. At this point I won’t even consider camping in a campground, I’m cranky enough as it is I don’t need to be running around on 2 hours of sleep on my vacation.

Most of the campgrounds in the area are full of seasonal workers. Setting mine up for the wife in a private, quiet spot and heading to my unit to bivy for 6 days or so. Then head back to the camper and recharge for a couple, then back out.

I absolutely hate campgrounds be they KOA, national park, NFS, whatever seems like every time I stay in one there is some POS group of people that are up until 2am getting hammered. At this point I won’t even consider camping in a campground, I’m cranky enough as it is I don’t need to be running around on 2 hours of sleep on my vacation.

Yep, at the very least, you’re up all night listening to generators. Not very enjoyable for me.

There will be seasonal camp sites up and down the roads, I'd just plan on finding a flat spot of your own and setting up shop.

I’ve done both and had a good time at each. I can’t speak specifically to that area but I wouldn’t shy away from them. Worst case is after a day or so you can just move. It’s not like your set up isn’t mobile.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back