Upgrade from a Tikka T3x 270

My Tikka T3X 6.5CM shoots sub 1/2 MOA with multiple factory loads. Other than the stock not being the most comfortable, it's hard to argue with that for the price you can get them for.

I would use that rifle this year and with the budget that you have, either re-barrel it and save a BUNCH of money, or go with a custom build. I have had Criterion barrels put on four (soon to be five) rifles and they shoot everything that I put through them. There are lots of good builders out there, that will give you what you want, for that kind of money. Don't rush and get what you want. Personally, I would go with a Shilen, or Criterion barrel, if possible, but that is just my preference. I would not spend that kind of money on an over-the-counter rifle. You can get cheap guns that shoot lights out, for over-the-counter.

I would use that rifle this year and with the budget that you have, either re-barrel it and save a BUNCH of money, or go with a custom build. I have had Criterion barrels put on four (soon to be five) rifles and they shoot everything that I put through them. There are lots of good builders out there, that will give you what you want, for that kind of money. Don't rush and get what you want. Personally, I would go with a Shilen, or Criterion barrel, if possible, but that is just my preference. I would not spend that kind of money on an over-the-counter rifle. You can get cheap guns that shoot lights out, for over-the-counter.

Agreed mate! After much thought and research I decided that in a factory over the counter rifle, there are some things I like and some things don't (for the high-price you are paying I mean). So, decided, will get something under $1200 this year and build a custom one for the next year.

Agreed mate! After much thought and research I decided that in a factory over the counter rifle, there are some things I like and some things don't (for the high-price you are paying I mean). So, decided, will get something under $1200 this year and build a custom one for the next year.

For the under $1200 rifle I was comparing between the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed and the Tikka T3x Stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor. Seems like the X-Bolt HC Speed is a bit better of the two. What are your opinions?

You could put a proof research barrel on your tikka in 6.5 and have McMillan make a stock and it would probably shoot as well as any $2000 production rifle

For the under $1200 rifle I was comparing between the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed and the Tikka T3x Stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor. Seems like the X-Bolt HC Speed is a bit better of the two. What are your opinions?
I like both of those rifles, FWIW. Both have short bolt throws and good factory stocks, as well as great reputations for accuracy. Try them both and pick the one that fits you best.

Have you looked at this one?

Yes, I have. The T3x Tac is a bit heavier than the X-Bolt at 8.5 LBS. Plus, I think the X-Bolt HC Speed is built a bit better.
I don't like the trigger on the xbolt. If it were me I would want to replace it. I don't really care for the cheapo bedding on the x bolt either. I have an original T3 from 2004. I have the trigger set to 2.25 lbs. Out of the box it has been quite the tack driver. Have you looked at a Bergara?

I don't like the trigger on the xbolt. If it were me I would want to replace it. I don't really care for the cheapo bedding on the x bolt either. I have an original T3 from 2004. I have the trigger set to 2.25 lbs. Out of the box it has been quite the tack driver. Have you looked at a Bergara?

Hmmm..just at the right time. Now you have got me thinking on the viability of the X-Bolt HC.

Since I am building a custom one anyways next year, maybe I should just get a Tikka stainless barrelled one in 6.5 CM for this year.

No, I haven’t checked out the Bergara yet. How is their QC and build quality? Is it better or worse than the Tikka ?

I've owned 2 tikkas and although they were very accurate, the first one had the camo peel right off. It happened at the store. They used to come with long stickers on the fore end of the rifle. The salesman took the sticker off and off came the camo with it. They replaced it obviously and my second one had a very sticky firing pin. I had light primer strikes on occasion. I probably won't own another.

Hmmm..just at the right time. Now you have got me thinking on the viability of the X-Bolt HC.

Since I am building a custom one anyways next year, maybe I should just get a Tikka stainless barrelled one in 6.5 CM for this year.

No, I haven’t checked out the Bergara yet. How is their QC and build quality? Is it better or worse than the Tikka ?
I have not really looked over the Bergara. I know the Spanish are capable of making fine firearms and I like their design, features.

The .270 is definitely a shooter but since I plan to get a 6.5CM anyways for some off season range/precision target shooting (dual purpose rifle), don't want keep the money blocked in the T3x Hunter Walnut model that I have in .270. The 270 is a bit more recoil for extended shooting sessions at the range. Feels sad to let it go at only 40 rounds but sometimes it has to be done. Not very happy with the glass either, although perfectly fine, the dials a bit finicky and small to adjust on my scope - Leupold VX3i 3.5-10 40mm. My friend has a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 40mm and his seems much more clearer. At 100 yards, I couldn't see the holes from mine (unless its a shoot n see) but from his they were crystal clear, his is also easier to adjust with the bigger knobs/turrets.
I do agree if a scope is hard to adjust than get rid of it but the big knobs are not very good for hunting because they are always getting caught on stuff and sometimes adjustments can be made without you knowing

I do agree if a scope is hard to adjust than get rid of it but the big knobs are not very good for hunting because they are always getting caught on stuff and sometimes adjustments can be made without you knowing

That is correct. Not planning on getting a competition scope with big turrets. Looking at the S&B Polar T96 which is a good hunting scope.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back