FYI:
From the Idaho Fish and Game website:

"IDAHO FISH AND GAME
HEADQUARTERS NEWS RELEASE
Boise, ID

Date: September 24, 2007
(208) 334-3700

wolf report: tentative mid-year population stats

Each year state and federal wolf managers compile a rough mid-year wolf population estimate for wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains.

Official interagency estimates in the 2007 annual report likely will be different and more accurate than these because of better wolf monitoring conditions in fall and winter and increased levels of wolf mortality and dispersal later in the year.

These figures give insight into the likely trend of the wolf population, conflicts and control relative to last year. Overall, the northern Rocky Mountain wolf population in 2007 will be higher, wolf control about the same and confirmed livestock depredations lower than that documented in 2006.

Breeding pairs comprise an adult male and female and two or more pups on December 31, so the mid-year estimate is what might be present at the end of the year and probably is high.

In Idaho, the mid-year population estimate was for 788 wolves in 75 packs with 41 breeding pairs, which is up from 2006 with 673 wolves in 69 packs and 40 breeding pairs.

This year so far, 36 cows and 150 sheep have been confirmed as wolf kills - 46 wolves have been killed. In 2006, 29 cows and 205 sheep were confirmed wolf kills - 45 wolves were killed.

Across the northern Rockies this year the total estimated wolf population is 1,545 wolves in 179 packs with 105 breeding pairs. In 2006, the number was 1,300 wolves in 172 packs and with 86 breeding pairs.

Total mortalities in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming so far are 111 cows and 185 sheep. And 134 wolves have been killed. In 2006 the numbers were 184 cows and 247 sheep confirmed wolf kills. And 142 wolves were killed.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service considers the wolf recovered in the northern Rocky Mountains and has started the process to remove the wolf from the federal endangered species list. The Fish and Wildlife Service's weekly wolf reports as well as annual reports, can be viewed at http://westerngraywolf.fws.gov/."

(End of Article)

From these numbers, in Idaho the wolf population is growing at about 17% annually even after killing 46 animals or about 6% of the idaho population. In the 3 state area the population is increasing at about 18% annually after killing 134 animals or about 8.6% of the total population. Pretty significant annual increases.

Great news, looks like the Wolf populations are able to sustain and prosper. It is important to keep managing the habitat so we don't lose the populations again.

Great news, looks like the Wolf populations are able to sustain and prosper. It is important to keep managing the habitat so we don't lose the populations again.

So how should we "manage the habitat" so as to not lose the populations again? Is that why we "lost" our native canadian grey wolves?

In your opinion, when should the population level out? Should we continue to allow an 18% net population increase each year? Can the big game herds "sustain" this type of predator population/increase without impacting hunter opportunity?

So how should we "manage the habitat" so as to not lose the populations again? Is that why we "lost" our native canadian grey wolves?

In your opinion, when should the population level out? Should we continue to allow an 18% net population increase each year? Can the big game herds "sustain" this type of predator population/increase without impacting hunter opportunity?

It is very simple, remove all domestic livestock from our public lands so we can adequately keep all wild game populations at management goal levels.

It is very simple, remove all domestic livestock from our public lands so we can adequately keep all wild game populations at management goal levels.

Hoser, the problem is most game objectives are set at a minimum level so range lands can support grazing. For example here in Montana we have whats called The Elk Manegment Plan, and what it has in it is population numbers or objectives that the state either wants to hold the population at or decrease the population too so livestock interests will be satisfied.

Since it was written (and with most numbers just plucked out of the air with no scientific considerations) two things have changed..One we have wolves eating elk meat, and two we have alot more habitate for elk to live off of..

The fires of the last decade have opened up the forest and created massive amounts of feed for the elk. The elk population should be exploding but it's not because of political reasons... There would be enough for both man and beast if not for our leaders squelching this biological situation.

Where I elk hunt the numbers have been reduced dramatically both by man and wolf. I saw two truck loads of hunters from Colorado here last week and thought: My god why would you drive from Colorado to hunt Montana where we have less elk, more hunters (during Bow season anyway) and wolves.

How many AUM's of domestic livestock are grazing public lands today compared to 40 years ago?

How do the wild game populations today compare to 40 years ago?

Its an interesting concept to remove livestock, to enhance wild game levels, to feed the wolves.

How many AUM's of domestic livestock are grazing public lands today compared to 40 years ago?

How do the wild game populations today compare to 40 years ago?

Its an interesting concept to remove livestock, to enhance wild game levels, to feed the wolves.

Why would a hunter or fisherman ever even tolerate a single AUM on public lands? How many salmon streams get dewatered by welfare ranchers?

How many Sage Grouse are we losing due to overgrazing by welfare ranchers?

The only good thing about range maggots and other domestic cows is that they provide easy dinner for the Wolves.

Some people have and still make enough money to be eccentric and not understand simple economics

They know how to make money, but not where the root or base of our economic foundation comes from and cattle eating "public" grass is just part of that bigger economy

Along with logging, mining and hydro powered dams

Not too many wild animals paying a good tax base...

Yes, there are hunters and tourists, but they don't hold a candle to the agricultural part of the economy

The Co-allition of the Clueless is up to 2 members. Buzz and Ithaca should be joining soon.

Hey BigWhore,
Why don't you tell us how many WILD bighorn sheep were killed in order to not affect some Montana sheep rancher's "rights" to graze his range maggots on OUR public lands?

How big of a ball did Montana FNAWS drop on that one allowing wild sheep to be killed for a bunch of Suffolk ewes??

Gotta like the Montana FNAWS chapter that kills wild sheep to protect domestic sheep....:confused:

If nothing else these wolf reports, espcially the control aspects of them, are showing how much potential hunter mortality the wolf population will be able to support and continue to support healthy population levels. No matter what side of the wolf issue a person is on, they are here and they are here to stay. It will be absolutely best to keep them at a level above the "endangered" status and yet still allow Idaho's sportsmen a chance to take one.

As for public grazing, thanks for continuing the fight. Been looking at some severally overgrazed land all year, its sad to see. Hard to imagine elk and deer spending much time in areas where the grass and forb components are grazed to the dirt.

How many Sage Grouse are we losing due to overgrazing by welfare ranchers?

How many more sage grouse are we growing due to proper grazing management? I can provide some data proving that grazing and sage grouse are not mutually exclusive.

Besides, if grazing is all that bad, why would Advocates of the West allow Western Watershed Project to agree to an AUM increase on public lands grazing permits as part of a settlement agreement?

Pointer, what would I know I'm just a dumb fish cop. ;)

The sage grouse in the areas I work appear to be doing very strong, biggest problem I've seen is convincing them standing on a paved road with short rolling hills is a bad idea.

Just ask Jose, it's the Range Con's that are the dumb ones!!

Sage grouse in No. UT aren't doing too bad at all either. One county has even a documented increase in Pygmy Rabbit numbers since the survey's of the 1940's.

PS- Are you still around Arco? I may be heading through there in a couple of weeks.

I'm actually living in Rexburg and working around St. Anthony, got kind of a last minute transfer last spring. I leave tommorrow for three weeks in Couer d' Alene, probably get a day or two off to pay bills then head for Kamiah for three more weeks. Wish we could hook up, but this first year schedule is kind of a mess. You looking at rifle deer and elk?

Just elk this year. Heading to MT in Nov for some deer hunting. Kamiah's some nice country, just pack some rainwear...

Kamiah is basically my home turf so I'm excited for that phase. Best part will be being able to sneak in some deer hunts on the few days off I will have. A couple days is going to be all I'll get this year.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back