Update--Should I Trade In My Semi-Auto For a Side-by-Side

this might ruffle some feathers but if you just want reliability and ease of shooting. Get yourself a Mossberg. They are cheap and don't break down. I have a cheapo Mossberg 12g and a Mossberg 500 20g that I've done nothing other then clean. I've had the 20g since I was 12. Its the main gun i use for birds or rabbits. I have nicer shotguns but they don't get used much.

this might ruffle some feathers but if you just want reliability and ease of shooting. Get yourself a Mossberg. They are cheap and don't break down. I have a cheapo Mossberg 12g and a Mossberg 500 20g that I've done nothing other then clean. I've had the 20g since I was 12. Its the main gun i use for birds or rabbits. I have nicer shotguns but they don't get used much.
Newer mossbergs are not what they used to be. Havent heard as much the last 5 or so years but I also do not know of anyone willing to try them again

I picked up a good deal on a used Citori 12 gauge two years ago that I dressed up with oil finish and a cherrywood case. I shoot it "okay" at the range but not as well as old "beater" Black Beauty A5. Because the stock on the Citori is thicker, it doesn't load to my shoulder/cheek as well as cheap plastic on the A5. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference shooting trap but I shoot skeet and clays low gun where an imperfect fit makes a huge difference in my score (like four targets!). Speaks volumes about the need for a good fit in field guns! No one walks up on birds high gun. Well, they don't if my dogs are working! I can shoot the Citori high gun at the range but that's an idiot's game when shooting skeet/clays. Also, I don't shoot high gun as well as low gun because I'm more inclined to aim (i.e. look at gun instead of target) and/or overthink the shot. Don't really have a choice but to shoot trap high gun because 1) the target leaves the house so far from the shooting station and 2) unlike skeet or clays, trap target's trajectory is random. Not enough time to mount, get on the target, and shoot before it's falling out of range.View attachment 185821View attachment 185820
That case is T-Swift kinda pretty

I bought a Weatherby Element in 20ga for skeet and doves and am contemplating (heavily) on just purchasing another in 12ga.
With that said ive been looking for an excuse to buy a SxS and this seems like a good one :ROFLMAO:
My budget is keeping me with Stoeger tho.

My buddy shoots a Tristar O/U that has been good to him
I got a CZ Bobwhite a couple years ago. Got one in 20ga I haven't shot and the other is a 28ga I shoot most the time. They have double trigger's and I like that. Have three AyA's all single trigger. Never had a SxS that gave me trouble. The CZ's start at about $600 and in my view, well worth it.

Agree with above. Bought a CZ partridge in 20ga many years back. Works good, looks ok, goes boom.

135055485_2896699517321257_8256232221043973130_n.jpg

Newer mossbergs are not what they used to be. Havent heard as much the last 5 or so years but I also do not know of anyone willing to try them again
That seemed to happen about the time they got heavily into the rifle game. Same as Remington 700s went down in quality when they diverted their attention into pistols and ARs

The stoeger over-under in 12 GA has an interchangeable barrel that will allow you to switch between 12 and 20 depending on what your hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back