Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Update on NM bird activity?

mcelweed

Has anyone seen much activity from turkeys in NM, especially southwestern NM? I scouted last weekend. I saw sign but didn't hear much. One week to go to season opening so hopefully they will start getting cranked up soon. Good hunting!

Wondering the same thing. Plan on heading down to the Lincoln opening weekend. Gonna make it my first serious turkey trip since moving to NM.

I saw most good bird activity in the Gila in March, prior to the season being opened. Seems like I would get a few birds to fire up during the first couple of weeks of season, but nothing like I saw prior to the season actually being opened. That said, the northern birds seemed pretty fired up when the season opened. It was pretty hit or miss from my experience. The birds seemed concentrated along creek bottoms with water and green grass and I had better luck at more remote spots as the opener was usually a 4 wheeler circus.

I have seen very few turkeys in NM period. Less this year in the Gila than I've seen for sure.
Not enough birds in this state to make hunting worthwhile at all, IMHO. Any bird.

Back