Update from the Wrangells!.......

D

Deerslayer

My brother sent me this update from the Wrangells this morning...it's the best news I could have hoped for......seems we might have made the right gamble opting to go later in the season.......
DS

"Update!! Things appear to be on schedule as planned. I have 3 separate reports from friends who have returned from their hunts...the season opened on 10 Aug. The weather has sucked. The rain and SNOW did not stop and the clouds rarely left the mountains. Sheep can not be spotted through thick cloud cover or snow white background! Needless to say, zero sheep taken. As I have it figured, the rain and clouds will dissipate around 23 Aug. Any remaining snow will have melted by 25 Aug and the first of 3 sheep will be down on 26 Aug. There is a day or two of wiggle room there of course and 33% success is the only requirement. Two of the 3 parties were near, but not on the mountains we will hunt. I provided them some info, but of course not ALL my info. I am starting to fill my pack and compile the gear. I am excited, but can only guess my level is somewhere below yours."

...when he said 33% success is the only requirement.he meant me getting a sheep instaed of them two, because they both have gotten one there the last two years. And when he says the forst sheep will be down August 26th...he's thinking positively of course......but it does all sound good at this point......
DS

WOW, good luck and take lot of pics as I'm sure that's a hunt I'll probably never get to do. Lots of luck and have a great time.

Thanks 1-pointer!....

WOW!......another update.......he's getting a little defensive at the note I sent him stating several of my online buddies were doubting my chances.....(like Moosie ;) )
...so he fored me another note....

"I believe the overall success rate is below 20 %...Rink and I have been at 100% for 3 straight years. I did not get to hunt in 98 but enjoyed an all expense trip to Korea. Rink took a novice with him and tagged out. Contrary to your buddies beliefs, you are in as good a hands as any $10k+ guide service. Sheep hunting is allot like turkey hunting, many like to go and claim to be turkey hunters, but few have the knowledge or desire to be successful. Besides, the ropes are sure to hold until 1 Sep. js"

.....I'm not quite sure what the "ropes are sure to hold" comment was...but the rest has me pumped!

Now this is the same guy giving me the P's and Q's on the Bou hunt next year...so we'll see.....
DS

you'll do fine out there. My wifes shop already got in about 5 rams this year.
You guys are hunting the wrangells?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Indy ;)

Yes, Lilbiggun......it'll be the Wrangells.
Hopefully that damn weather will break then hold for a few days.....or else we will be screwed.....
DS

Sounds like your either gonna be heading towards nebesna or towards mccarthy. One ram that was turned into my wife came from chitna and was a little over a full curl. I flew out of nebesna last year for a sheep hunt. either or, both are good areas. I think the wrangalls produce some good rams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back