PEAX Equipment

Unlimited sheep sleeping bag

freu1chr

What type of sleeping system do most of you guys bring into the unlimited units when you hunt? For that matter on any sheep hunt? I have a klymit 0 degree bag but it is almost 4 pounds and packs to 15x12.

What type of sleeping system do most of you guys bring into the unlimited units when you hunt? For that matter on any sheep hunt? I have a klymit 0 degree bag but it is almost 4 pounds and packs to 15x12.
I’d imagine most are bringing a Stone Glacier/WesternMountaineering bag. Every time I’ve packed into the AB I’ve brought an Enlightened Equipment quilt.

As an aside Point, a lot of people like to talk about gear for that hunt. I don’t think it’s worth it, it’s more about how you handle being uncomfortable and not seeing jack shit for days on end.

I’d imagine most are bringing a Stone Glacier/WesternMountaineering bag. Every time I’ve packed into the AB I’ve brought an Enlightened Equipment quilt.

As an aside Point, a lot of people like to talk about gear for that hunt. I don’t think it’s worth it, it’s more about how you handle being uncomfortable and not seeing jack shit for days on end.
I can second this. I went in once upon a time in July for a scouting trip. The plan was to see find sheep, then buy a tag the next season... well, 26 round trip miles of hell later I still haven't bough a sheep tag. Granted I had some health issues going on at the time, but those mountains will eat you up.

I feel like I finally have a "good as it gets" sleep setup for myself.
Im running a 30* Katabatic quilt in a cuben Borah gear bivy with a 3/4 length Neoair pad and two of the medical inflatable pillows. This setup comes in at ~34.27oz.

Ill run this setup into Oct, possibly supplementing in puffy jacket, pants and a full length pad as temps drop.

Schaaf makes valid observations, though I would like to add my own, based upon experience in an era of lesser technology. I'd say that both gear and attitude are important considerations.

I hunted 502 during the 1980's when the unit didn't even open until mid-November. Gear was critically important as I was hunting 10,000' to 11,500' above sea level in ambient temperatures that ranged from the teens down to -5 F. In winds that I could gauge with a pocket meter that only registered up to 65 mph, I endured wind chill effects lower than -33 F. My outfit evolved over three hunts. Were that season still available, and I able to hunt it again, my gear list would be modified even further, and my pack would be no lighter.

Notwithstanding the preceding comments, attitude and confidence are the MOST CRITICAL elements of success in Montana's Unlimited Sheep Permit Units for the hunter seeking at least a good representative ram. In my own first attempt, I did not even reach the altitudes where I eventually found mature rams on later adventures.

Word on the street is @EYJONAS! is collaborating with a big name gear company to produce the “Ultimate Unlimited” bag.

I do share @Schaaf thoughts on this. Unlimited trips don't need to be anything special for gear or just needs to be quality, which costs💰.

There were some absolutely horrific winds at night up there this year sustained 60+

I can't even imagine how the poor bastards below me slept with a Amazon special tent and bag.

Their tent was shredded already from two nights before. So all in all buy good shit if your gonna go.

Mountaineering equipment is more your friend than hunting gear.

Western mountaineering
Montbel
SG
Enlightened Gear
Really any decent bag with good fill, buy once cry once.

Pads are equally important or more important.
Which sleeping pad do you like? I’ve had the z pad and an inflatable Alps that I wasn’t fond of. Looking to change before next season.

I have 2 insulated exped pads

I am a big side sleeper so I'll carry more weight for a thicker pad. Sleeping in the BC I used to have to roll from side to side when one arm would fall asleep. So IMO a good pad is worth its weight in gold.

My BIL has a really oversized exped pad that's almost 3 inches thick. Best pad I've ever used. I'm sure there's other good ones out there too.

Im a big fan of the inflatable pads. Got a nemo and a thermarest. Both seem to do the job.
@EYJONAS! have looked at the exped pads and the one I was looking at was really thick like you mentioned and really comfortable, just didnt seem to pack down very small.

Back