Unlimited Hunt- Update

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I wish it had a better ending, but it looks like you had a good time anyway.

Unless you are dedicated to that unit, some of the other unlimited units are a little bit more doable for a solo hunter.
I’m planning to hunt unlimited sheep and I’ll most likely be doing it solo. What units would you recommend to a solo guy going up there or what units should I avoid?

I’m planning to hunt unlimited sheep and I’ll most likely be doing it solo. What units would you recommend to a solo guy going up there or what units should I avoid?
When are you planning on doing this? If your planning on doing it in 19 I think you need to reevaluate this hunt.... they're all brutal, they all require a tremendous amount of work, physically and mentally exhausting. If you want you sit on a line and hunt sheep and compete with 100 people then the 3s are probably for you. If you want to go into full retard mode and do things that you'd never do otherwise in life then try 500 or 501 if you want to wait for sheep to migrate and sit and glass and then "possibly" see one and go after it in mid November when it screams "death" outside then try 502. Welcome to the unlimited hunt..... plan to not see sheep and take your rifle for a decent 30 mile hike. :) good luck.

When are you planning on doing this? If your planning on doing it in 19 I think you need to reevaluate this hunt.... they're all brutal, they all require a tremendous amount of work, physically and mentally exhausting. If you want you sit on a line and hunt sheep and compete with 100 people then the 3s are probably for you. If you want to go into full retard mode and do things that you'd never do otherwise in life then try 500 or 501 if you want to wait for sheep to migrate and sit and glass and then "possibly" see one and go after it in mid November when it screams "death" outside then try 502. Welcome to the unlimited hunt..... plan to not see sheep and take your rifle for a decent 30 mile hike. :) good luck.
I’m going with a long term plan of doing it for several years straight starting with 2020 or 2021. Most likely 2021 as I have an elk hunt booked for 2020 that would interfere with the sheep hunt. I’m not taking this lightly but having a dead serious desire to hunt sheep and being on a working mans salary ( automotive technician ) I realize unless I pull a tag in one of the draws I put in for that I may never hunt sheep unless I do this. With that being said I’m looking at a long term goal of starting 2 years out and gathering as much intel and getting in as good shape as possible and once I pick a unit and start hunting it I plan to stick with that unit till I’m successful. I’m also hoping to do summer scouting trips the next two years before I buy a tag to familiarize myself with the area. That’s why I am trying to learn about the different units.

Ok so what type of sheep hunt do you want to embark on? I'm not trying to be a dick man I am just saying what these hunts can be like and putting it very lightly. Think about this .... it's a baseball game....9 innings..... most people don't even make it through the first inning.... some their first at bat. There's numerous people that think this deal is a slam dunk. Now don't get me wrong people do get lucky but the odds of completing the game successfully with a mature ram are about 1% that's no joke. Not trying to steer you at but that is what it is. I commend you for your planning and approach your taking. My advice to you is call biologist and talk to them. They know what's going on. Converse with guys that have done it and are actively doing it right now. There's lots of variables in this hunt that no one thinks about going into it. There's great sheep in there in my opinion harvesting a true 10 year old ram in the beartooths is unmatched by any sheep hunt in the lower 48. The blood and sweat into this hunt is no joke and a sickness at that. That's my opinion. If you wanna talk about it more let's do it shoot me a PM. In all seriousness good luck and get training that's the best price of equipment you can have is yourself.

Last edited:
Ok so what type of sheep hunt do you want to embark on?
Well I’m not really into crowds or sitting on park lines or waiting till November so from what you’ve told me it looks like 500 and 501 are the best options and that’s what I was trying to do was narrow down and find out some things about the different units. I see that they are the ones I’ll have to go full retard in but I’ll just have to do what it takes. I’m determined to make this work and I’m trying to leave myself plenty of time ahead for preparation and not jumping into it this year.

Ok so what type of sheep hunt do you want to embark on? I'm not trying to be a dick man I am just saying what these hunts can be like and putting it very lightly. Think about this .... it's a baseball game....9 innings..... most people don't even make it through the first inning.... some their first at bat. There's numerous people that think this deal is a slam dunk. Now don't get me wrong people do get lucky but the odds of completing the game successfully with a mature ram are about 1% that's no joke. Not trying to steer you at but that is what it is. I commend you for your planning and approach your taking. My advice to you is call biologist and talk to them. They know what's going on. Converse with guys that have done it and are actively doing it right now. There's lots of variables in this hunt that no one thinks about going into it. There's great sheep in there in my opinion harvesting a true 10 year old ram in the beartooths is unmatched by any sheep hunt in the lower 48. The blood and sweat into this hunt is no joke and a sickness at that. That's my opinion. If you wanna talk about it more let's do it shoot me a PM. In all seriousness good luck and get training that's the best price of equipment you can have is yourself.
No offense taken whatsoever. I’m completely open to honesty. Definitely not looking for a tv hunt where it’s walk out and pop it. I want a true bighorn sheep hunt but if I get one and I put it on my wall I want to know that I did what it took to get it and not everyone would have had the guts or the focus or the determination to do it. That’s a true hunting trophy to me. I’m willing to do what it takes and become the best I can be to do this and am setting myself a long term goal to get it done by sticking with it year after year and becoming better as I go.

Hey Geetar,

I've got several articles and book chapters written by guys that have hunted 500 and 501 successfully that I can email you if interested. Also, listen to the second hour of a podcast titled "The Impossible Hunt" for more unlimited goodness...

None of it is secret or revolutionary info, but it will paint a realistic picture of what it's like to chase sheep in the Beartooths.

Hey Geetar,

I've got several articles and book chapters written by guys that have hunted 500 and 501 successfully that I can email you if interested. Also, listen to the second hour of a podcast titled "The Impossible Hunt" for more unlimited goodness...

None of it is secret or revolutionary info, but it will paint a realistic picture of what it's like to chase sheep in the Beartooths.
Hey man I’m sorry I just saw this fellow. I’ll p.m. you my email. I’d really appreciate it. Idk why this slipped by me. Must have got busy at work that day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back