MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Unit 47 Lope and After Activities

Warrior10

New poster here, but long time reader!

Me and a buddy are headed out to unit 47 next week for antelope. We have done a lot of research on the unit, so not looking for tips/hints there (unless you want to share something)! We'll be camping out of the pickup.

We are going to have 1 day to scout then 7 days to hunt, we will be semi picky on lopes (or so we are telling ourselves...).

We'd like to be back in Nebraska for duck season the 12th. However, we are looking for some stuff to do if we tag out early in the Casper/unit 47 part of the state or E/NE on way back toward Nebraska. We will be bringing fly rods and plan to go to the Miracle Mile at least a day, anywhere else we should look at? We will also be bringing shotguns and duck decoys to duck hunt our way home in Nebraska. Any WY waterfowl opportunities we should look into or upland birds?

Thanks for the help in advance!

47 is a great unit, you should have a real fun time.

If you have any plans of returning for other species, I'd recommend scouting some deer and/or elk hunt areas.

The Casper G&F office is a fun place to visit as well.

47 is a great unit, you should have a real fun time.

If you have any plans of returning for other species, I'd recommend scouting some deer and/or elk hunt areas.

The Casper G&F office is a fun place to visit as well.
We sure hope so, got really lucky in the draw.

I had considered doing some deer scounting if we found the right area. We are low pp points so I'll have to do some looking at draw results.

Good place to visit for recommendations or in general? Or both?

Thanks

We sure hope so, got really lucky in the draw.

I had considered doing some deer scounting if we found the right area. We are low pp points so I'll have to do some looking at draw results.

Good place to visit for recommendations or in general? Or both?

Thanks
The G&F office just has a bunch of cool mounts and informational displays. I had to go to get a reprint of something while I was out there, and wound up spending about an hour just walking around.

Ducks on the Basin lakes and waterholes.
You're referencing the various reservoirs and waterholes within the unit I'm assuming? That would be awesome. Any idea on what species we'd potentially be seeing? We should love to cross some new spieces off our lists.

I hunted there in 2017 on a trip with my wife. After killing a buck we made a 3 day loop across the state through Pinedale, Jackson, Yellowstone, and Cody before heading home.

With a little effort you shouldn’t have trouble be successful unless you’re going to hold out for a record book class buck or nothing.

One thing to note it can get quite muddy if it snows or rains.
1E591C3C-5E2A-4B06-AABF-2E59B0DC5046.jpeg

Did I mention it can get muddy?
C7D13E8B-2138-410C-8299-78AC1E6F4BB4.jpeg

Reactions: LCH
I hunted the unit in 2017 and got lucky and drew in the random draw this year. Like LCH said Casper has some stuff. I'm holding off for a better goat this year, but my buddy's are planning on shooting ASAP.

Reactions: LCH
I hunted there in 2017 on a trip with my wife. After killing a buck we made a 3 day loop across the state through Pinedale, Jackson, Yellowstone, and Cody before heading home.

With a little effort you shouldn’t have trouble be successful unless you’re going to hold out for a record book class buck or nothing.

One thing to note it can get quite muddy if it snows or rains.
View attachment 115436

Did I mention it can get muddy?
View attachment 115437
Thanks for the heads up on the mud. We are bringing multi say supplies of backpacking gear in case we have to ditch the pickup due to mud.

Won't be holding out for a record buck but prefer something decent.

I hunted the unit in 2017 and got lucky and drew in the random draw this year. Like LCH said Casper has some stuff. I'm holding off for a better goat this year, but my buddy's are planning on shooting ASAP.
Anything else in Casper you (or anyone else) recommend? We prefer to maximize our hunting/fishing, but any Breweries, Restaurants, etc. that we should consider if we take a night off?

Anything else in Casper you (or anyone else) recommend? We prefer to maximize our hunting/fishing, but any Breweries, Restaurants, etc. that we should consider if we take a night off?
Theres a killer place for Breakfast called Sherries. Theres a neat interactive center about the Oregon, Mormon, and several other trails that all converged or ran near Casper. We enjoyed seeing all the scenery.

If you are up for some fishing besides the Miracle Mile, you guys should try the Middle Fork of the Powder River that is west of Kaycee. Kaycee is about 65 miles north of Casper and the fishing area on the Middle Fork of the Powder is probably 15-20 miles west of Kaycee. The Middle Fork Canyon and Outlaw Cave are interesting to view.

ClearCreek

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleyhunter456
Back