Yeti GOBOX Collection

Unit 33 arizona..snakes!

Hilljackoutlaw

Hunting unit 33 in Arizona for couse and muleys in January. Will I need to worry about snakes or other biting or stinging critters?

If they go through some warm periods, there can be a few snakes out. Usually, from my experience, the south-facing, rocky slopes bear some watching, as the sun warms the rocks. In the cool morning, it is not a problem. I hunted javelina south of Tucson one time and there was a ridge that was crawling with snakes, according to another hunter. I avoided it!

Born and raised in Az. I saw maybe 10 venomous snakes in 30 years of hunting there. Its something to keep an eye out for when sitting down, or messing around rocks, under brush, but dont lose sleep over it. And dont kill them, they have their place in the desert.

Born and raised in Az. I saw maybe 10 venomous snakes in 30 years of hunting there. Its something to keep an eye out for when sitting down, or messing around rocks, under brush, but dont lose sleep over it. And dont kill them, they have their place in the desert.

My experience as well. Have hunted about every quadrant of every state out West though sometimes I was out and about when was way to cold for snakes. Never been bit though I let snakes be unless are in my campsite and are poisonous. Have inadvertently walked up almost stepping of rattlers, sidewinders and prairie and timber, yet they have always rattled in time or turned to slither away as I spring into my little kid sidestep moonwalk dance moves. Bumped copperheads a few times back in Midwest. Only saw one water moccasin and was dead. Never encountered a coral snake.

I'd like to see those sidestep moonwalking dance moves. Glad to hear though. I didn't wanna be preoccupied by the thought of snakes and scorpions while trying to enjoy a nice hunt.

I have lived in AZ and hunt there every year. I have hunted 33 in Nov, Dec and Jan and never ran into any snakes. I have ran across some rattlers in the Oct hunts in other units but they are not as common as you would think.

Have the same worry hunting in September in a floorless tent. Ugh! Though not in AZ.

Back