Unit 32 Road Issues

NMGuy

Just got an email that I thought I would pass along.

"Call to All Sportsmen & Women: Public Lands Under Threat
The Chaves County contingent of anti-public land hunters are at it again. Last year, they successfully shut off access to a five-mile stretch of Felix Canyon Road, a taxpayer-owned, county-maintained public road used for decades by public land hunters accessing Game Unit 32.

Despite no evidence to support the Felix Road closure, this tight-knit group of special interest individuals were able to convince the Chaves County Commission to close our primary access to public land. They were even successful in shutting us out of the public road inspection process, saying they were not going to take public comment despite over two dozen sportsmen showing up in the middle of a weekday to protest the closure.

And now they're back it again, counting on their friends in positions of power to do them another favor so they can privatize our wildlife and lock us out of our public land. There are THREE NEW ROAD CLOSURE APPLICATIONS that could severely impact our access to our public land. We can't let this happen, not again.

We are calling on all sportsmen and women to show up to a meeting this Monday, February 19, President's Day (Teddy Roosevelt would be proud!) at 6 p.m. at Los Cerritos Mexican Kitchen in Roswell, 2103 N. Main St.

All sportsmen and women, and public land advocates who care about access to public lands should show up and be heard. At this meeting, we will also announce a new easement proposal to return access to the public near the closure of the Felix Canyon Road. But we can't do this without you, we need you to show up and we need you to stand up for your public lands! Representatives from the New Mexico Wildlife Federation, ACCESS New Mexico, and Backcountry Hunters & Anglers will be on hand to help plan the next course of action.

Please show up and protect your access to your public lands, if not for you, for your children!"

Also, if some has better Google-Fu than me, I'd love to know what the three new road closure applications are for.

Contact Gabe at the New Mexico Wildlife Federation. He’s the southern region coordinator in Las Cruces. He will be there Monday and was discussing plans last night with a BHA board member. I’m sure he can get you the information.

As an update, these three road closure applications are in roughly the same area on Picacho Road. The sections of the roads do cross both State and BLM land, so we will lose access if these are approved. The New Mexico Wildlife Federation has a petition you can sign on their website. You can also email the county commissioners if you live in Chaves County.

Back